• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Water born organisms

Craiger

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Has anybody else noticed water born organisms in their tap water? I've been seeing, what I think is, organisms moving around in the surface of our water. I first saw them last night as I was getting ready to give Frodo and Sam a bath. I wasn't sure where they came from, so I grabbed a brand new tub, two different water jugs and poured another bath and still noticed them. Then again tonight in yet another brand new tub and two different water jugs. So I've ruled out the tubs and jugs. The only commonality is the water. I'm afraid to give them a bath....looks like I need to boil some water. But then walking the line of trying to get the temperature right. ::)

I can see them with the naked eye. They're REALLY small, but I swear I can see them moving around if I focus hard enough....and it's kind of creepy. I've told Bev and the girls not to drink any water from the tap.

Don't have a magnifying glass or microscope....

staylor

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
or maybe your hallucinating. J/K that is gross, hope you get it figured out soon.

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
You still taking drugs for your back? JK!

Wow, I know we get a strong chlorine smell on occassion. Are you on well water or public? I agree with Brian, I'd get it tested. Just doesn't sound right.

Craiger

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
It's public water.

No drugs lately. LOL!

I'd like to call the water company today to see what's going on, just don't know if they'll take any responsibility. I used water from two different faucets in our house; one in our basement bathroom and one in our upstairs bathroom. Same result from both faucets.

I thought I was just seeing things at first....but I'm convinced I can see them moving their legs in a fast motion. Even congregating. I've never witnessed anything like it before.

I told Bev last night I'd like to get it tested. Just don't know where to take it.

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
any lab should be able to do it. If you have a college local to you you may get something there. If not ask Gina for advice she knows all that kind of stuff lol.

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Not to be alarming here...........
Concern is inreasing due to outbreaks of coliform bacteria, giardiasis, cryptosporidiosis, and hepatitis A in the US. Some of these are bacteria, while others are viruses or protozoa. If you are on a public water supply system, and you are concerned about the possibility of microbial contamination, contact your water company. If you use a private water supply, have your water tested by a reputable lab. Treatments do exist for microbial contamination, but, it is important to know what is present before treatment is begun.
Helminths are also a viable concern due to their survival rate in wet soil.

If you have problems getting your water tested, contact your local Center for Disease Control.

Just my two cents.

Craiger

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Would any of those things be visible to the naked eye, Gina? I could see what looked like dust particles floating around, but when I focused really hard, could swear I could see them moving.

Oh...and would boiling make it safe for beardie baths?

Gail

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
I think I'd boil it and then run it through a Brita filter, for the family as well as the dragons.

Craiger

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yeah, that's a good idea, Gail. Guess I need to get my hands on a filter. Perhaps even a coffee filter would work. Looks like it would catch anything.

I called the water company. They're looking into it and will get back to me.

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
if those protozoa are present, there isn't a Brita filter out there that would help. My guess is that it's not those or you'ld know it by now.
Helmiths are large enough to get trapped by filters, both at the local plant and by your filter at your residence.
There are a few more, but all those that are dangerous to humans and animals are microscopic. Generally, what is seen with the naked eye has an end result as organic. Usually this lays way for tree rootmat entering water lines at one area or another. Water trees such as willows (especially weeping) and river birch have this tendency often, but pines and others also are capable.

Boiling will kill anything organic, microbial and parasitic.

Showers only for the family until you test the water. Sorry Craig, no more bubble baths for you!!!

Craiger

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
ladyknite said:
Sorry Craig, no more bubble baths for you!!!

Okay...now I'm wishing I'd never started this thread! I can't go without my bubble baths! :p

Thanks for the info, Gina.

Gail

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
I was thinking of the filter mainly to get rid of the little boiled bug bodies.

Craiger

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Gail said:
I was thinking of the filter mainly to get rid of the little boiled bug bodies.

Yeah....good point. I'll be sure to look the water over after filtering.

In the meantime....I've managed to totally freak out my family. The twins don't even want to shower. LOL!

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Oh, Gina sparked my memory. I remember a show that we watched a bit ago on this stuff. There was a huge outbreak years ago in the Chicago area. Don't remember what the outbreak was, but it was related to something getting into the water supply.

I know not much help, but just wanting to add this may be pretty serious....

Craiger

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hope not....but we'll see. Haven't heard back from the water company, yet.

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
just eat em. maybe they are a good source of protein lmao.

I understand your issue with whatever buggy might be living in your water supply. Hell I just recently found out there was some pathogen in the water at Camp Lejeune that has been linked to having caused breast cancer in men. I drank that water for 5 years :-[ thats real comforting lol.

Craiger

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
crypticdragons said:
just eat em. maybe they are a good source of protein lmao.

Bahahaha! ;D

I understand your issue with whatever buggy might be living in your water supply. Hell I just recently found out there was some pathogen in the water at Camp Lejeune that has been linked to having caused breast cancer in men. I drank that water for 5 years :-[ thats real comforting lol.

:eek: Geez....REAL comforting!

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Craig, most water companies record this type of thing occuring when there has been a break in the main line somewhere. It usually takes a week or so to clear out and you'll probably notice a higher concentration of chlorine in the water when it begins to be treated if they do it at the plant.

My question would be this......
How would they know it's not strictly in the lines coming to your house and not in the main plant.

I wouldn't be concerned about a shower. Just don't swallow the water and rinse the shower with bleach solution when you finish.

Red Ink AUS

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Bacterial matter in H2O is not visible to the naked eye. Old pipes tend to accumulate residue over time, sudden temperature varriance tend to shake these particles loose and end up in the water. This happens at my house when I get a sudden on set of warm wheather. It is most likely clorine deposits or lime.

What you can do is place a small amount of the affected liquid in a sterile glass jar with a lid the more contaminated the better. Put small holes in the lid and place it somewhere were the water can evaporate naturally (not directly in the sun). The residue will be left in the jar and take that for testing, most likely what they will tell you is that it is chlorine and lime deposit. The worst thing they can say is it's lead residue if you have lead pipes.

Latest posts