• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Wanting a Bearded Dragon for my son, but have some questions :)

Cameron Angelle

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi, like the title says this year for Christmas I plan on getting my 8 year old son a bearded dragon. He's been wanting a reptile for years, and told me this year is the year Santa will probably bring him one. Was looking at ball pythons, but I've had snakes before and I want something more interactive for my son and the family. I do have some questions about good breeders, who to purchase from etc. What are good prices, what is too expensive, etc. Also, since this is a Santa Claus present the lizard will have to be tucked away in my closet in its enclosure, hopefully only for a little while. Obviously I'm in the early planning stages of this and have no idea what to look for and what to expect. I do want a more colorful dragon, like the bright yellows or oranges. I know they're more expensive, but they're beautiful and I figure this will be a pet like our dog so might as well invest in it. I live in Louisiana, so if you guys do know of great breeders in Louisiana please let me know. Thanks so much :D

Cameron Angelle

Bearded Dragon Egg
Please go to the Bearded dragon discussion board and look at the Caresheet for New Bearded dragon people--- that website --------------its going to give you a ton of information regarding the care of a bearded dragon -- also you can go to this forum for the where to buy from a good breeder - there are a lot of people on that forum that have purchased dragons from breeders www.beardeddragon.org------------- let me give you a heads up -- caring for a dragon is really more of an adult pet --- they are to complex for a child -- if you read the care sheet you will get the jest of what I am talking about --- over night in the closet for the dragon will be fine but he must have his lights on all day before putting him in there as they like darkness to sleep -- and as long as the temp in the closet doesnt fall below 65 in there over nite --- babies do like it warmer tho so I am not so sure its a good idea for him to be in there over nite simply because of the temp--- I brought home a 7 week baby on Fri and have had a ceramic heat emitter over him to keep the tank around 80'ish over nite -- he is very young normally they like it around 70 or so at nite -- just some quick info for you if you need anymore questions asked please ask ---- it is good that you are doing your research on this as alot of people dont and end up w/ a very sick dragon in 6 months or so -------------------- I can give you all kinds of info and answer as many questions for you as I can and if I cant I can direct you to others who can --- the forum website I gave you has lots of experienced bearded dragon owners there that have had them for years plus there is a vet moderator on there as well --
kaylyn

I’d definitely be helping him care for it if we do get one because he’s only 8. I’m a stay at home mom so that kind of stuff would fall to me, and yes I have noticed they sound to be pretty high maintenance while they’re juveniles, and I wouldn’t be opposed to an adult. I’m still considering a ball python. Mostly because I know snakes, and as far as feeding goes it’s relatively uncomplicated. There are some reptile shows in my area coming up conveniently in December. Which is probably where we will buy the animal. He loves the idea of having a snake or a lizard, but it’s honestly about what will be good for me and us as a family and not just him. And by in the closet I mean in there with the full set up. Lights when needed, food, etc. It would just be to keep it a secret. The one thing I DO NOT want is to get an animal that is so finicky it has a high mortality rate. Which is concerning with the baby bearded dragons. I’d definitely go into this with a ton of research, and my dog’s vet sees bearded dragons and has one living in the office, so I’ll definitely poke her brain when my dog goes in for his annual soon. Thanks so much for replying!

Cameron Angelle

Bearded Dragon Egg
Your welcome I would not buy from a reptile show unless they are well known and come w/ references-- you can get some info from breeders and recommendations from this website www.beardeddragon.org - many people have gotten dragons from different breeders--- they are expensive tho I will say -- I just bought a 7 week transluscent red hypo from a breeder where I live and she is good - he was $120 --
kaylyn
After looking at some morphs and stuff I think we’re willing to spend up to 300. Although hoping to spend less but I would like to get from a good breeder. Good to know about reptile show. I would have thought that was a good place to buy one honestly. I’ve been looking at morph market to see what morph would be cool to have and looking at breeder feedback. I would love to find a breeder near me that would allow for a Christmas Eve pickup lol. I love the super yellow ones, the super citrus I think? Still learning all the morph terms and what it looks like on babies and eventually matured into.