• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

want to build an outdoor screen enclosure

crystal9534

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
so i figured it would be cheaper to build my own outdoor enclosure than to buy one. i thought i'd use some wood we have lying around as the frame. i have a screen enclosure that we bought for our chameleon and i want it to look somewhat like that. they're only going to be outside in the cage to get some sun, so it's not a forever home and doesn't need to be too overwhelming. any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
There would be a couple of things to keep in mind.
1) Strong enough lid, so a bird of prey can't swoop down, open the top and have a relatively easy meal.
2) You will most likely want sunny, as well as shaded areas.

3) Depending on where you locate this enclosure, you may wish to have it sitting above ground level. This will mean a solid bottom, and you'll want ease of cleaning.

4)Small enough mesh, so indigenous insects can't get into the enclosure, to be consumed by your dragon(s).

Those suggestions would be a starting point, in my opinion.
Good luck, and be sure to post photos!

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Great points, Janie!

Just want to add the obvious, only take your dragon out when it is 85F or above. Natural UV is the best you can get him.

Latest posts