• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Vivarium/Terrarium Questions and Ideas

Howlett Fang

Bearded Dragon Egg
Okay so like I said in my introduction I am new to the community, now I am looking into building a Enclosure not from scratch but I was planning on starting with an Exo Terra Enclosure that has 2 doors.

Now I heard so many things about different styles of set up and I am pretty sure I want a Bioactive setup but I have heard that they can be bad for Beardies and that they can be good for them too, I have also heard that sand even if it is calci-sand could cause impaction so what I am wondering is what kind of truths are there to using sand as a substrate. and if it is okay to use a type of cocofiber substrate in place of that because I really do not like the idea of using news paper because of the Ink that they use on them comes off way easily and could be toxic if ingested and I don't wanna use paper towels because that is just so ugly and I would prefer to make my Beardy as comfortable as possible.

Also I was wanting to add a small waterfall in with the beardy to keep his water circulating because stagnant water promotes bacterial growth but I know that humidity can be a bad thing for them if it is above a certain percentage is there a way this can be done with out hurting the bearded Dragon.

I welcome a discussion about these things and I want to see what your setup looks like too so please post pictures and make this as fun a topic as possible. =) thanks so much have respectful fun.

Stay scaly everyone =),
Howlett

Eavlynn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
For humidity loving reptiles and amphibians, bioactive is hard to beat if it's done right. For beardies, it's not so much an option. Any sort of loose substrate can harbor bacteria and the humidity given off would be problematic. Parasites are another issue. A lot of feeders have the potential to carry parasites; most of us have battled them at least once before. The best set up, if your looking for an aesthetically attractive yet easy to sanitize DIY, would be excavator clay or molded Styrofoam coated with grout, then sealed. Some of the finished products I've seen are out of this world!

If you're in a dry area, a waterfall would be doable. A naturally dry area will combat the humidity given off. Not so doable in PA where I am, but if you happen to be in the southwest, it probably wouldn't pose any issues. Moving water may draw their attention and encourage them to drink, as opposed to standing water, which beardies usually ignore.

The builds I've done have been kinda basic compared to others that I've seen. I made 4x2 enclosures for more floor space. It seems to get them moving a bit more, which is great. It also allows for a lot more customization, which I really like. My latest build, and the one I'm most proud of, is pictured below. I'll be adding more over time as my little man grows, but it's a great basic set up with tons of space to add and change things.

70454804d15a93d294fa2de6321b569f.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Bioactive setups are okay but you have to be spot on with your temps and husbandry and really in tune with your beardie. I never recommend bio to someone just starting out. Any kind of sand will harbor bacteria. Even if you clean the poop out it will still absorb some of it. It also gets in their eye and can cause skin issues if not cleaned well.

As far as the waterfall, I would advise against it. I know you want a water element and you want the water to stay fresh but it's very hard to keep a water fountain clean. Bugs are going to get in it, your dragon is going to climb in it, food is going to get in it. Also, if not cleaned every day, algae will build up. I really don't recommend it.

Howlett Fang

Bearded Dragon Egg
For humidity loving reptiles and amphibians, bioactive is hard to beat if it's done right. For beardies, it's not so much an option. Any sort of loose substrate can harbor bacteria and the humidity given off would be problematic. Parasites are another issue. A lot of feeders have the potential to carry parasites; most of us have battled them at least once before. The best set up, if your looking for an aesthetically attractive yet easy to sanitize DIY, would be excavator clay or molded Styrofoam coated with grout, then sealed. Some of the finished products I've seen are out of this world!

If you're in a dry area, a waterfall would be doable. A naturally dry area will combat the humidity given off. Not so doable in PA where I am, but if you happen to be in the southwest, it probably wouldn't pose any issues. Moving water may draw their attention and encourage them to drink, as opposed to standing water, which beardies usually ignore.

The builds I've done have been kinda basic compared to others that I've seen. I made 4x2 enclosures for more floor space. It seems to get them moving a bit more, which is great. It also allows for a lot more customization, which I really like. My latest build, and the one I'm most proud of, is pictured below. I'll be adding more over time as my little man grows, but it's a great basic set up with tons of space to add and change things.

70454804d15a93d294fa2de6321b569f.jpg

Thank You for taking the time to read my post, it is going to be some time before I get my first Bearded Dragon so I have time to think of what I am going to do before I get a Bearded Dragon.

I like tge way you have your enclosure set up it is simple and clean and it works for you and your Bearded Dragon then it works. I don't like tge idea of carpet, tile, laminated flooring, and paper towels or newspaper. I don't like them because none of these options would be something that Bearded Dragons would be on naturally in the wild. I especially do not like tge idea of using newspaper because of the ink which is toxic.

Howlett Fang

Bearded Dragon Egg
Bioactive setups are okay but you have to be spot on with your temps and husbandry and really in tune with your beardie. I never recommend bio to someone just starting out. Any kind of sand will harbor bacteria. Even if you clean the poop out it will still absorb some of it. It also gets in their eye and can cause skin issues if not cleaned well.

As far as the waterfall, I would advise against it. I know you want a water element and you want the water to stay fresh but it's very hard to keep a water fountain clean. Bugs are going to get in it, your dragon is going to climb in it, food is going to get in it. Also, if not cleaned every day, algae will build up. I really don't recommend it.
I live in Utah which is generally a dry and arid state until winter. I understand that the husbantry side of things I used to grow plants and I have had several caged animals so though I am new to Bearded Dragons I am relatively confident that I could adequately and properly care for the enclosure if I get a bioactive set up.

My only real concern on the waterfall was the algae I am not worried about the beardy sitting in the water because it won't be able to fit. I will try to paint a picture of what it will look like.

On the coolest side of the enclosure in the corner I was planning on putting a PVC Pipe large enough to fit the actual tubing which the water would be traveling up in so that i can replace the tubing if needed. The PVC pipe will be foamed in place and will travel down on a slightly inclined and stepped slop, at the bottom it will split off to two sides where it will be a small drinking pool not large enough to sit in these pools will be made from foam as well and have a shelf that the water pools up on and then empty out into the reservoir which will be screened to allow inly water to pass through I am thinking of using a carbon filter to help keep particals and stuff from getting into the pump area. I am planning on modification of the outside of the tank to create a water tight access door to the pump and internals that will be part of the feature.

Bugs will get into the water yes but that doesn't seem like it will be that big of a problem with how I want to set it up. As I said the only thing I am really concerned about is algae build up which I do not know how to safely treat. But as for bugs growing in the water I don't think that will happen. Do you know how to treat an algae problem and do you know of any bugs that grow in water?

I hope that painted an accurate picture.

Eavlynn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Thank You for taking the time to read my post, it is going to be some time before I get my first Bearded Dragon so I have time to think of what I am going to do before I get a Bearded Dragon.

I like tge way you have your enclosure set up it is simple and clean and it works for you and your Bearded Dragon then it works. I don't like tge idea of carpet, tile, laminated flooring, and paper towels or newspaper. I don't like them because none of these options would be something that Bearded Dragons would be on naturally in the wild. I especially do not like tge idea of using newspaper because of the ink which is toxic.

If you can control the humidity, a waterfall isn't totally out of the question. It would have to be a design that you could completely tear down and sanitize to avoid algae and bacterial build up. The biggest issues with systems that circulate water, such as pet store fish tank circulation systems and dentistry water systems, is the build up in the tubing. I'm not sure if you've ever seen behind the scenes at a pet store, but the tubing that runs from tank to tank is disgusting. And the microorganisms found in water systems at dentist offices is alarming, many people deal with hardcore infections, and even heart issues, after dental surgery due to the organisms in the water. Just some food for thought.

I understand your dislike for regular substrates. You also have to remember that our beardies aren't in the wild. Loose substrate in the wild isn't a big deal, they have a large area to defecate in, find food, and go about their business. In captivity, their range is limited to a 4x2 enclosure at best, so more consideration has to be given to controlling bacteria since they eat in the same general area that they poop. This is why many of us go for easy to sanitize substrates.

Most bioactive setups require moisture to properly cycle. Which isn't a big deal for amphibians and the like, but it's not so good for our dragons. Be sure to think about all of the pros and cons before making a decision, and remember that it's more about the health of your dragon than your personal preferences. If you wanted to play around with a bioactive set up to get a feel of everything, you could set a small one up with a frog. That way you can mess around with it on a smaller scale beforehand.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I don't know how you would treat the algae safely in the waterfall. I have a friend that had a waterfall in his tank and he had to take it out because he couldn't control the algae buildup.

Chad and Grayson

Bearded Dragon Egg
I'm new to reptiles but for years I kept fish. A great all natural algae cure is daphnia. These are very small, freshwater "bugs" (they might be crustaceans) that eat algae including the microscopic algae type that makes your water green. They are small enough that you can hardly see them in an aquarium at first glance but not microscopic - small fish will actually eat them. I've read that water treatment plants use them too. You should be able to get them online but I don't remember where.

I would use these to clear up green water periodically but they didn't live forever. You'd have to keep ordering them whenever you notice the algae again. If your waterfall pump has a filter they would get caught in it and die. If not I imagine they would just cycle through and live until they ran out of algae to feed on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eavlynn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Daphnia are great for controlling algae, though they are usually used in planted tanks, or found in ponds. I'm not sure how they would do in a smaller closed system of a waterfall. It's worth a shot, but I'd still try to find a unit that you can completely break down and sanitize when needed.

Mushuandcricket

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
A small fountain waterbowl not water fall is nice for low humidity and they will drink from the moving water. It is small so an adult dragon wont sit on it like a waterfall and is easier to keep clean.The only problem is the motors only last a year or so and will burn out if you for get to add water.

jam5971

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
You will also get algae growing on the sides which you'd have to scrub off regularly.
Doesn't matter how small you make the "pool/reservoirs" your dragon could still walk in it, defecate in it, thus contaminating it. Your live food may also go in it and drown. All of which will result in you having to clean it. This can happen with just a water bowl but using just a bowl means only the bowl will need cleaning, where as with a waterfall the whole water system would need cleaning. As someone else has stated the water pipes will get coated on the inside with algae and muck. I keep tropical fish and the pipes are difficult if not impossible to clean. I think you will also struggle with the humidity.
Personally I'd stick with a water bowl and replace the water in it daily. I can see the attraction of a waterfall though, from an aesthetic point of view it would look attractive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Howlett Fang

Bearded Dragon Egg

Mark the Mailman

Hatchling Dragon
Okay so like I said in my introduction I am new to the community, now I am looking into building a Enclosure not from scratch but I was planning on starting with an Exo Terra Enclosure that has 2 doors.

Now I heard so many things about different styles of set up and I am pretty sure I want a Bioactive setup but I have heard that they can be bad for Beardies and that they can be good for them too, I have also heard that sand even if it is calci-sand could cause impaction so what I am wondering is what kind of truths are there to using sand as a substrate. and if it is okay to use a type of cocofiber substrate in place of that because I really do not like the idea of using news paper because of the Ink that they use on them comes off way easily and could be toxic if ingested and I don't wanna use paper towels because that is just so ugly and I would prefer to make my Beardy as comfortable as possible.

Also I was wanting to add a small waterfall in with the beardy to keep his water circulating because stagnant water promotes bacterial growth but I know that humidity can be a bad thing for them if it is above a certain percentage is there a way this can be done with out hurting the bearded Dragon.

I welcome a discussion about these things and I want to see what your setup looks like too so please post pictures and make this as fun a topic as possible. =) thanks so much have respectful fun.

Stay scaly everyone =),
Howlett

As far as substrate i have repticarpet and i vacuum it every few days with a brush attachment...pretty easy

Howlett Fang

Bearded Dragon Egg
As far as substrate i have repticarpet and i vacuum it every few days with a brush attachment...pretty easy
Hmmm, I think I will try my hand at a bioactive setup to start and go from there. If it starts looking like i can not handle it i will change it up ti reptile carpet I just find that option less appealing to the eye, ultimately it is about the health of the animal i know but it is still nice to be able to make it aesthetically pleasing to the eye.

magpie

Hatchling Dragon
I am looking into getting a beardie and have been waffling with this too. Someone I think on this forum pointed out the excavator clay to me as an option as a substrate, which looks more realistic but is also easy to clean and you're less likely to screw it up as a new owner. ;) Just another option if the bioactive doesn't work for you.

Latest posts