• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Viv up date

Vauno

Hatchling Dragon
Hi all jay and update pic of my viv, what u think

And also my beardie, he was 10" when got him 4 weeks ago and he's now 13.5" and a nice colour

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1344624090.176571.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1344623915.429474.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pat B

Super Moderator
That light on the left is too low. He will burn his tail on it. That happened to my little Spike and now he has a stub. I do like that you have doors in the front but can't tell if there is any ventilation. One more thing....since he is still on the small side the less in his viv the better. You can always decorate when he gets older and bigger. Germ will probably add more....:D

Vauno

Hatchling Dragon
The light is about 10 to 11 inches away from the basking spot, I don't think the viv is two crowded to be honest her get all the crix

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Seeing as how you have changed the basking spot, pretty much to the floor, you may get away with that light without a burning risk. But the issue remains that was discussed in this thread ...
Very little UVB is emitted off of the the ends of a tube Bulb, the strongest UVB is emitted in the middle portion of the bulb. UVB radiates only so far, not as far as the light does. The Max effective distance of a 10.0 tube is 20" from the center of a 'NEW' bulb, less as you go towards the ends. Very little, if any at all, will be reaching the front corners where your basking spot is. The UVB strength also diminishes as the bulb ages, providing less & less UVB & is why they must be regularly replaced. Acceptable levels of UVB must cover the basking spot because if the temps are right, that is where it will spend the majority of it's time. The setup now covers the majority of the back part of the enclosure, but it will spend little extended time there & if it does then it is not getting the heat it needs to digest it's food.

Read more: http://www.beardeddragonforum.com/index.php?threads/setup.6261/#ixzz23BAAJ8pL
Both the UVB source & the Heat source must cover the Baking spot.

Vauno

Hatchling Dragon
Well he basks for a bit them he spent alot of his time on the branch in the middle of the viv which is 3" or so from the UVB light, the UVB doesn't run along the back it runs along the top in the center, and there is 2x 36" 12% tubes in there

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
You certainly have no aversions to spending money unnecessarily. 4 weeks ago you stated that you had one 36" Reptisun 10.0 in there. But this does not alter the fact that you could have 10 UVB bulbs side by side, it would not radiate effective useable UVB any further than one. What it would do, is intensify the amount of UVB within that distance. It also does not change the fact, that the amount of UVB emitted off the ends of a fluorescent tube is considerably less than the middle of the bulb where a bulb is rated. The good thing is that you are using a 36" which is a higher wattage, therefore more light\UVB. But again, the fact that very little is emitted at the ends, compared to the middle of the bulb, will not provide enough UVB as it is setup with the Basking Spot where it is, not directly under any part of the bulk of the UVB bulb.

The long & short of it, the way that enclosure is set up, your BD will be receiving very little UVB, at the Basking spot, where the UVB is needed, at that distance, off of the end of a tube\s, not being anywhere directly below the bulk of the tube itself.

If you moved the basking spot & heat bulb 1+ foot to the right, so it would actually be below some of the tube\s, it would make a world of difference.

I can't see in the pic anywhere that the BD could come 3" from the UVB bulb. That being a good thing, because getting that close to a high output UVB bulb, would put it within range of the dangerous & harmful rays in the UVC spectrum that are emitted.

Now what you do is ultimately up to you. You have come here for advice for your BD. You have been given good advice as well as I can explain it. Do with it as you will.

Good Luck to you & yours.

Vauno

Hatchling Dragon
The reason I have 2 is the fact I had a spare starter unit so I got another to make it brighter in the viv as I looked dull and that for him,

And here is the sizes

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1344671646.132453.jpg

As I said he spends a lot of time on the branch not at the basking spot, hence why set up like this

I I'd move the light over the heat from warm to cool side would be to close then tho?

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
As long as you realize that that 20" is the Max from a NEW bulb ...
The UVB strength also diminishes as the bulb ages, providing less & less UVB & is why they must be regularly replaced.
Two months down the road, that effective distance shortens to approximately 18", four months down to 15", six months down to 12" & so on. You have to take all that into consideration, you can't setup for the max distance.
As I said he spends a lot of time on the branch not at the basking spot, hence why set up like this

I I'd move the light over the heat from warm to cool side would be to close then tho?
If it spends more time on the branch than the basking spot, then I'd say your temps are likely way out. That is the whole purpose of having the UVB cover the basking spot is so it gets both heat & UVB while basking, and if your temps are right, it will spend the majority of it's time basking at that spot.

What are it's temps at the Basking Spot & at the spot it generally sits on the branch? What type of thermometer are you measuring them with?

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
How did you make out with the smell that you thought was coming from the enclosure? Was it the Crickets?

Vauno

Hatchling Dragon
Hey yer temps at the basking spot are 109f and at the place he stays alot is 99f it's is measured with a digital thermometer,

I got the smell away but just changing the sand

Spikeleebd

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
vauno germ is right if bd's were arboreal reptiles the uvb that high would be good but bds stay on the ground you should bring the UVB lights down and over behind the basking spot. trust me you will see alot better coloration and hightened behavior in your bd. Also he should be spending more time on the warmer side basking the majority of the day than on the cool side. bds love to bask the majority of the time they will spend all day under the basking spot. were not hear to come down on you just educate you a little bit. i would take germs advice he knows alot about beardies

Vauno

Hatchling Dragon
Ok what u mean bring it down so it's at the back of the viv down on the back wall?? Will it not burn tho and if to close no good??

Let me see some of urs setups so give an idea on one correct

Vauno

Hatchling Dragon
Well my tube gets warm tho how have u got urs let's see

Latest posts