• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Viv change!

tellierawr

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hello fellow beardie lovers,
Just a few things I'm looking for to personalise honeys viv a little because it's looking a little plain.. And whilst I'm updating her living space anything else people would recommend changing?

She's got a long tube UVB light (don't know the make as I got honey and her viv second hand and the owner really didn't know what he was doing as he had only had her two weeks himself!)
She's got a basking heat bulb for daytime. No lights at night but the temp doesn't drop any lower than it should !! So I wasn't sure if a night time bulb is necessary ?

She's got 2 shallow bowls for greens and water... She's got a deeper bowl for insects but I don't use it as I prefer to hand feed anything live as I've heard you shouldn't leave live food in the viv?

She has a curved log under her basking spot
And she has a pretend green vines/leaves hanging in the cool end as well as some wood stuff that she likes to burrow under also in the cool end.

There was a wooden stall/table in there placed in the middle I wasn't entirely sure why as I couldn't fathom how she'd possibly climb on to it?

I've been looking around for an online shop that does viv backgrounds... I've so far not found any that suit a natural look.
I also wondered if it was worth getting like a 3 tier climbing thing so she can be nearer the UVB ? Again have had no luck finding such a thing!

Thanks!
Martell and Honey-Monster! :)

timbalan

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
May i suggest making your own its fairly easy just takes a little time. If you go to the enclosures forums and looks at vinnies new viv. Its one i just built for him. All you need is styrofoam tile grout and some non toxic sealent (mod podge) is what i used.

atochats

Juvenile Dragon
Hello fellow beardie lovers,
Just a few things I'm looking for to personalise honeys viv a little because it's looking a little plain.. And whilst I'm updating her living space anything else people would recommend changing?

She's got a long tube UVB light (don't know the make as I got honey and her viv second hand and the owner really didn't know what he was doing as he had only had her two weeks himself!)
She's got a basking heat bulb for daytime. No lights at night but the temp doesn't drop any lower than it should !! So I wasn't sure if a night time bulb is necessary ?

She's got 2 shallow bowls for greens and water... She's got a deeper bowl for insects but I don't use it as I prefer to hand feed anything live as I've heard you shouldn't leave live food in the viv?

She has a curved log under her basking spot
And she has a pretend green vines/leaves hanging in the cool end as well as some wood stuff that she likes to burrow under also in the cool end.

There was a wooden stall/table in there placed in the middle I wasn't entirely sure why as I couldn't fathom how she'd possibly climb on to it?

I've been looking around for an online shop that does viv backgrounds... I've so far not found any that suit a natural look.
I also wondered if it was worth getting like a 3 tier climbing thing so she can be nearer the UVB ? Again have had no luck finding such a thing!

Thanks!
Martell and Honey-Monster! :)
I think Timbalan has a great idea in building your own I know he did an AWESOME job on his! But, IMO first thing's first. Making sure her basic needs are met...
Some good links that you may find useful to get started off right ...
Basic Bearded Dragon Care Guide - A Place To Start
UVB Setup
Temp Guns
Bearded Dragon - Exclusive Care Info Library
Is Bearded Dragon Cohabitation A Good Plan?
What's Good & Not So Good To Feed - Beautiful Dragon's Nutrition Guide

Proper substrate; basking area the right distance from basking bulb AND the UV to give proper temp and UV exposure; IMO loosing the fake plants (possible impaction risk) and water dish (adds unnecessary humidity) inside the enclosure; and providing a quiet hide on the cool side of her tank should she want to cool down or get out of the light for a bit, are all points that I would give attention to personally. Cooling down and having a little privacy may be why she's burrowing under the fake foliage? IDK. A lot of your questions or concerns are addressed in the above articles...as for hand feeding, I see your reasoning and if this works well then I say it's a good idea! You're right if the temp isn't going under 65F at night, no light is best :)Welcome to the forum and very glad to meet the both of you!! :)

tellierawr

Bearded Dragon Egg
Thanks for all the info !! :) what should I do about hydration if I remove the water bowl? I mist honeys viv every morning should that be enough?
Also I'm not entirely sure how to change my profile pic ? Lol

Luvthemanimal

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Why do u mist the viv? You need to keep humidity in the viv down. Misting it would cause it to rise.

Mist the beardie itself. Or drip water on its nose.

What do you use to view forums?
Tapatalk or computer?

tellierawr

Bearded Dragon Egg
Well I read somewhere that beardies will lick up the water drops left on logs ect ...

Tapatalk Is what I use mainly!
:)

atochats

Juvenile Dragon
I've read similar things regarding beardies licking water droplets MOVING in their enclosures like if they're running down the insides of the glass. They usually dont drink water if it's not moving, they simply don't know what to do with it (this is true with most dragons mind you, not all). Misting the dragon directly, offering water via an eye dropper, and baths (move their bathwater a bit in front of them with your finger) are much more effective ways of keeping them hydrated. They are able to absorb a slight amount of moisture from their bathwater through their cloaca (sp?) also, which is another good reason for occasional soakings even if they don't literally drink during them.

Luvthemanimal

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Hi ^^^^^^ good info there @atochats. Also misting the enclosure IMO isn't the best idea due to the fact that the beardies need low humidity and not high. I understand that you want to make sure your beardie is hydrated and you want to mimic natural instincts. But in the wild the morning dew on the leaves rocks etc is what they lick up and the day is very hot and humid.

Like in my viv the humidity during the day is 10% and at night jumps to 30% sometimes.

I personally never mist my dragons. I give them daily water by dripping it on there noses and 2 - 3 baths a week.

Maybe once or twice a month I will soak the screen and let the water drip down simulating rain.

**all post by me are of my opinion and what I've learned over the years**

Latest posts