• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Vitamin D3 problems????

Mushu's Mom

Bearded Dragon Egg
Mushu had a vet appointment this morning. I thought Mushu was in brumation but the vet says she's sick....inflammation in her intestines caused by the vitamin d3 that's in her calcium. According to the vet there's been lots of this in bearded dragons lately. LSU is doing a study and this is the conclusion so far. They are still in the process of this study.....sooooo my question is.....Has anyone heard this besides me? Now Mushu is on crushed up Tums for her calcium and baby food. She is also taking 2 different antibiotics. I am hoping and praying that my lil lady is going to be alright.

Noella

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Poor Mushu! Hope the girl gets better. I give my beardie calcium with d3 once a week, Herptivite on Fridays and calcium without d3 for Monday through Thursday. I give her the weekends off from supplements and herptivite.

gilliesexotics

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hi, sorry to hear your little one is not doing well.

In the pursuit to flush the system and the fact mushu is on a antibiotic. BE sure to keep her hydrated. Take extra time to get her all the water she wants.

Thank you for posting, i just learned something here. I researched the recommendation of tums and it seems like a good way to help this situation.

Mushu's Mom

Bearded Dragon Egg
Thanks Gillie....She has access to water 24/7...even though she doesn't drink it....she usually soaks herself in it...lol. The baby food has lots of water in it. The vet has me soaking her twice a day also. When I fed her this evening she kind of seemed to like the baby food with the crushed up tums. I have to take her back to the vet once she finishes her antibiotics. I'll let everyone know how she's doing. Thanks again.

TheGuvnor

Hatchling Dragon
Ah man, I hope Mushu is on the mend. I have never used calcium with d3. They get all the d3 they need from UVB lighting. I dust everything with plain calcium Monday to Friday. Saturday I use Exo Terra multivitamin which is readily avaliable here in the uk. Very much like rep-cal herptivite, where the Vitamin A is from beta carotene. So its not bad for our beardies. And Sunday, a day off everything. :)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Mushu's Mom

Bearded Dragon Egg
I've just ordered her Rep-Cal Calcium and Rep-Cal Herptivite. Hopefully this will fix my Mushu right up and this won't happen again. She was actually out of her cave and awake this morning :) She wasn't happy about having to take her meds though.

mish13

Juvenile Dragon
Im a little confused because i thought you were supposed to use calcium with D3 ? I've never used just plain calcium. How much and how often were you giving the calcium ?

TheGuvnor

Hatchling Dragon
Most multi vits will have d3 in. Also I believe most uvb have d3. Like I have the Arcadia 12% +d3 (but please check yours before even taking in anything I say). I know to much d3 is toxic for them, much like the to much vit A. I can't remember the exact process. It was explained to my by my old local reptile vet, he was also a breeder (he since moved, but the new lady is very nice :p ). Think it depends who you ask. I got his advice and went with it. There is such conflicting information out there. I know my 2 year old is healthy as he is checked every 6 months, I know he gets his d3 via his uvb, and also has d3 in the multivitamin I use once a week. I've had no problems using the process I said in my previous post. Still, it is all very confusing for people admittedly. But dam, ...... if I was to change the way I do things with my beardie from reading what others say and do on various sites, his routine would be changing every other day :p . I know he's healthy, so why change :)

Mushu's Mom

Bearded Dragon Egg
Mushu got weak after I started giving her meds and force feeding her baby food with tums. I stopped her meds and force feeding her yesterday. I honestly think she's in brumation. I hate to not go along with Mushu's vet but seems like she was doing better before the vet visit. The vet told me that beardies won't go into brumation if their temps are correct. Mushu's daytime temps are cool end 81° and warm end 103°. Nighttime temps are cool end 79° and warm end 86°. She did have a poop Monday....1st one in about a month because she's been sleeping and not eating....until the force feeding of baby food. I also have another question. I keep a soaking dish with water in her enclosure. Her vet says to do this but most beardie websites say never put water in their enclosure. Which is correct?

TheGuvnor

Hatchling Dragon
I know it's not needed. They get all the fluids from the gut loaded food and veg/salad. And also they hydrate during the baths every couple of weeks (or however many you do). But I still have a very small water bowl in there. Think I feel better knowing it is there. Even tho in 2 years I don't think I've seen him use it lol.

But as for a bowl to soak in. I never had one.

Latest posts