• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Vitamin & Calcium

D00UUBLEB

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Hi everyone, this is my first post since joining the community yesterday; will post a picture of "Little Spike" later today in the greetings area.

Here's my question: I have a 4 month old dragon and the pet store owner told me to dust the crickets with both Reptivite and Cal-Rep; are both necessary at every feeding? I would tend to think only the Cal-Rep is... thoughts?

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
for that age dragon, 5 days a week, first insect and all day salad meals for the calcium, 1-2 days a week vits, first insect and all day salad.
janie.

D00UUBLEB

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Thank you both for the confirmation, I didn't think giving Little Spike vitamins every day was the right thing. As for the calcium, luckily I have been doing that with his morning feeding of crickets.

Amazing what little differences will make.

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Agreeing that calcium and vitamins are not necessary daily. It is a sad truth that many pet stores give incorrect info. Please let us know if we can clarify any other misguided info they gave.

nrokin

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
IM sorry but i dont t understand this but could anyone be more specific on what you mean i just want to make sure that im "dusting" properly " for that age dragon, 5 days a week, first insect and all day salad meals for the calcium, 1-2 days a week vits, first insect and all day salad.
janie."

I dont know how old it is, i bought it at petco, i have been feeding it every day 2pm and 6pm for 4 days. When i dust i have been dusting at 2pm a nd 6pm the past 3 days with calcium, and sprinkled some on the greens that i leave in there (also is there any way to get your baby beardie to eat more greens? it has eatn some but not much ) and i feed the multivitamin one time a day on Friday on greens and roaches and sunday i take a day off. Am i doing this right or am i supposed to only dust them once a day for the 4 days? My beardie has been pooping normally as well.

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
you dust the first live feeding not the first insect.
Basically with a young dragon you tend to feed twice a day. on the first feeding you want to dust it with calcium (5 times a week) and the second feeding none. same with vitamins on the first feeding you want to dust all the live feeders with the vitamins (2 times a week)

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I think the jury is still out on calcium and vitamins. My herp vet believes with proper diet, they are not needed.

However, I used them with Bernie. Calcium would be offered 4-5 times a week. We would dust his proteins. Vitamins were offered twice a week.

As far as salad, it is pretty common for a young beardie not to eat them. They should still be offered daily and your beardie will acquire a taste for them. When your beardie is an adult, salad will be the daily food and proteins will be eaten every other day.

You can try mixing up the salad to see if you find one that is tempting for your beardie. Try putting the veggies in a pile with the greens on top. No piece should be larger than the space between your beardie's eyes. Some veggies to try are butternut squash, red pepper, green pepper, squash, etc. Some greens - collard greens, carrot tops, mustard greens, etc.

Latest posts