• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Vet Visit

Reptilelady86

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Hello everyone,
Took my beardie to the vet since he was acting a bit off. Not basking as much as he should be and always trying to hide. To rule out if he was trying to brumate, in fact, I found out he is loaded with parasites and mites. Poor guy is on Panacur Dewormer 100mg/ml and also taking the Ivermectin 1mg/ml for his mites. Has anyone else here have experience with these medications? Thanks so much.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Oh NO! Poor guy. I'm glad you took him in. So many people just assume it's brumation. I've used Panacur before and my girl ate real good on it but then after she was off it she refused to eat on her own for a few months. I was making slurries and feeding her Pangea. I would get a probiotic to help keep the belly in check. I don't know about the Ivermectin.

Reptilelady86

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
It's kinda odd but the vet said to keep the enclosure around 85-90, and his cool side lower than that. I don't know I feel like the basking temp should be a bit higher. I was reading that they don't even begin to get internal temperature until it is 98 degrees so how can he properly digest or have a good immune system if it is lower. Of course, having lower temperatures the beardie will think its brumation. I think the vet I went to is a quack! Also, if you look up IVERMECTIN IT IS VERY LETHAL AND TOXIC! http://www.anapsid.org/resources/rxdose.html

I would not recommend. I wish there were more holistic reptile vets. I ordered him some REPTAID its all natural as well as some probiotics. It looks like to me the signs of Brumation but I heard if he is loaded with parasites and not to let your beardie go into brumation as this will cause harm. I have his half log hide he just wants to be underneath, not wanting to bask, and every time I touch him he feels cold. Sigh... very frustrating :(

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Question on the mites. Did they find them in the poop or were they on the dragon? I've only ever heard of them being on the dragon where you can see them.

The vet does sound like a quack! The temp should be higher. 85-90 isn't even good for an adult dragon!

Reptilelady86

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
The vet had these binoculars and he did not PHYSICALLY SEE them on him but when he did the fecal examination, he said there were these mite looking bugs on the screen. I was there when he was showing it. Then saw these lil worms moving across the screen and said these are the parasites, etc. I just got this deep weird feeling he just didn't know what he was doing and on top, his hands were shaking when trying to hold my beardie down, just his whole bedside mannerisms were terrible. I never saw this vet before but as soon as he walked into the room "Soo, what is going on with your beardie? " LOL like hmm, not a hello I am so and so?!? Wtf!?

I looked on reputable websites like reptilemagazine.com and said the basking site should be around 100-110 if the bearded dragon isn't opening his mouth to thermoregulate then most likely it isn't hot enough. My beardies photo as my avatar as he was a baby but you can see he has his mouth open because he's enjoying the temp. I hardly see my beardie do that now :(

http://www.reptilesmagazine.com/Care-Sheets/Lizards/Bearded-Dragon/
http://www.reptilesmagazine.com/Lizard-Care/Correct-Lizard-Temperature/

Also, the vet did not fully ask me about his husbandry questions, just basic lighting stuff but he's like I don't know what you use for your substrate but sometimes that can cause mites or parasites to manifest... Hmm okay, so when did tiles become a problem?!? :O

In a couple of weeks, going to go to another reptile vet to get a second opinion and as well as checking the fecal to make sure everything is okay.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
You're not giving the medicine for mites are you? That's really worrisome that he is prescribing such a harsh medicine for "mite looking bugs" in the fecal. I'm not sure I ever heard of mites showing up in poop. I would get a second opinion for sure.

Reptilelady86

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
No, in fact, the vet wants me to come back in another week to finish off the Ivermectin stuff which I am totally not. Finished up with his Panacur treatment, thank goodness. He hates that stuff and it's like pulling teeth literally to get him to open his mouth to take it. I am just offering him once a day probiotics to help him with his gut flora. When he said he has mites on his poops never heard such a thing but I did see mite looking thing on the screen but I just realized it could have been a dust mite *facepalm* the vet clearly wasn't sure he was in shock so definitely going to another vet for a second opinion. NEVER GOING BACK THERE NOR RECOMMENDING TO OTHERS!

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Can I ask the name of the vet? Just so I can warn others in my group about them.

Reptilelady86

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Sure, his name is Lynn McEwan. There should be a sticky thread on vets to avoid. Found a great exotic vet finder: https://arav.org/

Hopefully, the next vet I go to can establish a good relationship. *Fingers crossed* :):bd:

Latest posts