• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Very very hungry lizard here.

Pogie

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
no kidding jeez. then again, whats the US dollar like compared to the SA? the rand is like 7.5 to one dollar. so if you paid 75 cents a piece that's like us paying 10 cents.

Yeah, hate to do math but it is probably correct. Then again, If our average salary here is R5000-00
A UVB light costs R400-R500
A Globe R15
Digital thermometer with probe R75
Thermo gun thermometer R500-R600
Vet visit, just consult R250
Faecal R250 - R400 depending on what type

It becomes expensive with R5000 monthly and still having living expenses. Like R2200 for water and electricity.
Avg house installment R4000 - R6000
Groceries (No luxuries) R2000

See ;D

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
In SA, they have a variety of grasshopper that is a extreme dupe of the UK locust. Easy to breed also.
I'll see if i can't find that variety to give you an alternative. The mopar larvae might also be an option for you, but i have no clue about raising them

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
oh sorry.

The mopar is a moth of SA. Its values are quite high in protein and calcium and it has no toxicity level for consumption. The larvae or the moth are the best options......not the worm. But i believe there is a "hard" shell around the pupae that has to be cracked and the pupae actually ejected. I guess that might be a "me" thing.

I've got a friend that's an entomologist and she's doing some checking for me. She's in SA, so it might take a few days.

Pogie

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
The mopar is a moth of SA. Its values are quite high in protein and calcium and it has no toxicity level for consumption. The larvae or the moth are the best options......not the worm. But i believe there is a "hard" shell around the pupae that has to be cracked and the pupae actually ejected. I guess that might be a "me" thing.

I've got a friend that's an entomologist and she's doing some checking for me. She's in SA, so it might take a few days.

Thank you, no rush.

Appreciate the info

Pogie

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
This the Mopane moth???

adults%20large.GIF

Craiger

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
ladyknite said:
The mopar larvae....

Hmm...we have the Charger, the Viper, and now the Larvae! Didn't know Mopar was putting out another line. ;D

Pogie

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
He he LOL
Craiger made a funny.

Thanx you always have a witty remark/comment . . . .love it

Craiger

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Pogie said:
He he LOL
Craiger made a funny.

Thanx you always have a witty remark/comment . . . .love it

And that's my serious side. You should see me when I'm really trying to be funny. I crack myself up! LOL!

Pogie

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
ladyknite

In SA, they have a variety of grasshopper that is a extreme dupe of the UK locust. Easy to breed also.
I'll see if i can't find that variety to give you an alternative. The mopar larvae might also be an option for you, but i have no clue about raising them

This got me doing some research as well, found this, it is definately an option as theyre everywhere here....

Feeder Fly Ant Introduction

Feeder fly ants can be collected and fed annually. In South Africa they appear sporadically between the November and March after good rains, sometimes just before another good shower. They can be collected by hand and stored in a bottle with small holes in the lid for a few days. Reduced temperatures (i.e. refrigeration) will induce a reversible slumber with a reduced activity which preserves some of their natural nutrients. After being stored in the refrigerator, they can be “defrosted” at room temperature for the first few days. After longer periods of time they will start to die off. Only wake up the amount that is going to be fed and keep the rest asleep. Wings that are still attached should not be removed.

Fly ants seems to be very tasty and is a joy to feed to baby and juvenile lizards, various frog and toad species, birds, primates, fish, arachnids and chameleons. Some lizards like Bearded dragons (Pogona vitticeps) will take them dead or alive.

Latest posts