• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Peachyken

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hey! I need a lot of help with Cyrus. He’s only ab 4 months old ish and weighs like .02 I took him to the vet and they gave him dewormer and then prescribed carinore care which he had been fed two days after but then was already eating his crickets again. They also hydrated him somehow but that was around 2-3 weeks ago. He was getting better for a week eating crickets and full of energy. But now he barely has energy to keep his head up for bath time. He tends to slowly lower it a lot and keeps his eyes closed. Now I noticed that his favorite spot was on his hammock before but now he just keeps jumping off of everything he used to bask in and goes on his carpet. Also very important he won’t eat. I’ve been up and feeding the carnivore care again but it’s getting harder and he’s getting weaker it seems. Yet he has the energy to jump down to the carpet. He hasn’t shed in like 2 months and hasn’t really grown he’s so so tiny so they can’t do blood work on him to figure out anything else that’s serious. Please please help. Also yesterday I came home from work and his head and a stripe down his body were black. Please tell me what to do I really need help. I wanna save Cyguy. He’s my first baby. :(
5D76D41A-24FE-465D-B41E-390E7ADC17B8.jpeg

FinniansMom

Bearded Dragon Egg
What are your temperature and uvb setup? How often and what are you feeding him? He definitely looks like he’s missing something, evidenced by he got better with hydration and carnivore care supplemental feeds. Can you post pics of your set up?

HoomanSlave

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
Are you giving calcium and multivitamin supplements frequently and in the correct order?
If you have a multivitamin supplement, check the label. It should NOT contain vitamin A-it needs to contain beta carotene instead. Raise his temps by a few degrees.
What is your UVB and basking light? As stated above, please do get a picture of your setup.

Peachyken

Bearded Dragon Egg
What are your temperature and uvb setup? How often and what are you feeding him? He definitely looks like he’s missing something, evidenced by he got better with hydration and carnivore care supplemental feeds. Can you post pics of your set up?
23F937DB-AC5A-40FA-9D0E-74A52353E819.jpeg

Peachyken

Bearded Dragon Egg
I feed him crickets everyday he stopped eating greens after a few weeks and I tried a lot but he won’t budge. If there’s any advice you have on that too I’d appreciate it. I just changed his wattage in his tank last month to 150 and the other uvb is just from the whole tank kit I got with the 40 gallon it came with the supplements and I just dust his crickets with both and then that’s what he eats.

Peachyken

Bearded Dragon Egg
He also has a hammock now thats in the right corner above the rock that’s just what I have for a picture atm.

HoomanSlave

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
I can't tell from the picture, but please make sure you are using a ReptiSun 10.0 or an Arcadia 12% for his UVB (mounted in the tank), coils and colored lights are deadly in the long run. Please switch to digital thermometers/hydrometers, because the stick-on thermometers do not give accurate readings.

FinniansMom

Bearded Dragon Egg
Switch to a reptisun 10.0 tube light asap. Tbe small coil bulbs that come in the “kits” aren’t adequate. 18” tube light at a minimum. Basking spot should be about 104-108 for juveniles. Cool side should be 78-80 degrees, taken digitally. How often are you feeding? He needs to eat 3-4 times/day initially. Are you offering water outside of his bath? Keep giving him a few greens, even if he doesn’t seem interested. He will start showing interest as he gets older, and they will be a more important part of his dietary needs as he gets older. For now, he just needs to become familiar with them as a food source.

Peachyken

Bearded Dragon Egg
Switch to a reptisun 10.0 tube light asap. Tbe small coil bulbs that come in the “kits” aren’t adequate. 18” tube light at a minimum. Basking spot should be about 104-108 for juveniles. Cool side should be 78-80 degrees, taken digitally. How often are you feeding? He needs to eat 3-4 times/day initially. Are you offering water outside of his bath? Keep giving him a few greens, even if he doesn’t seem interested. He will start showing interest as he gets older, and they will be a more important part of his dietary needs as he gets older. For now, he just needs to become familiar with them as a food source.

okay thank you. I fed him in the morning give him a bath every morning and he would drink water off my finger like little droplets and I leave a cap full of water in his water dish. And then I feed him when I get home from work idk how to realistically feed him 3-4 times a day when I’m at work most of the day. And I would waste a lot of money putting veggies in his bowl and they just go bad after a day and he won’t eat it. He used to though the first few weeks I got him. But then he got picky and wanted crickets only. I feel like he’s dying so idrk if this will help he doesn’t even to be under the lamps he just goes back to the carpet on the ground.

CaHarding

Juvenile Dragon
okay thank you. I fed him in the morning give him a bath every morning and he would drink water off my finger like little droplets and I leave a cap full of water in his water dish. And then I feed him when I get home from work idk how to realistically feed him 3-4 times a day when I’m at work most of the day. And I would waste a lot of money putting veggies in his bowl and they just go bad after a day and he won’t eat it. He used to though the first few weeks I got him. But then he got picky and wanted crickets only. I feel like he’s dying so idrk if this will help he doesn’t even to be under the lamps he just goes back to the carpet on the ground.
The Reptisun uvb everyone is mentioning makes such a HUGE difference. And also the right basking temps. I thought my dragon wasn’t flourishing either because I had all the wrong lighting. She would barely eat. Once that was changed she changed an insane amount and is getting huge. Those are soooo important

FinniansMom

Bearded Dragon Egg
If he doesn’t seem to want to stay on his basking spot, check your temps. A couple of degrees can make or break the spot for him. His diet as a juvenile should be 20% greens, 80% protein, and as an adult it switches to 80% greens, 20% protein so he really needs at least some greens. If you put the greens in a ziploc bag with a paper towel along the side, they’ll last longer and cut the cost. Also, you could try adding a couple of blueberries or strawberries (sliced really small,) to peak his interest, or a tiny bit of bell pepper. (Also, it’s ok to give him fresh greens in the morning, and remove them when you get home to give feeders. Some beardies like greens that have been made “crispy” by the enclosure heat!) it also gives him something to investigate and eat while you’re not home.). Alternatively, add a few feeders to the greens dish, si the greens “move”, which is also more interesting to them. Try to get some dubia roaches and some Phoenix worms (tiny and VERY nutrient loaded, also called BSFL black soldier fly
larva,) which you can leave in a dish while you’re at work, and won’t escape quickly, so he can “graze” a little while you’re at work. He will be easier to care for as an adult, but he needs a little extra care now, or you’re right, he won’t make it. I hope some of these suggestions are helpful. You’re doing great on the baths and water offering!!

HoomanSlave

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
As Finniansmom stated, the basking temps may be off. Stick ons can be off by 10-20 degrees, and that can make a deadly difference for beardies.
I don't recommend starter kits because almost everything in them will need to be replaced or upgraded-the tanks are too small, they come with bad thermometers and UVBs (sometimes even hot rocks), and bad substrate. I did the math, and a $150 starter kit ends up being over $400-500 with all the replacements and size upgrades that would have to be made.
I love the little penguin in his tank, it's adorable :)

Emilia Thuet

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Change the UVB to the reptisun one and make sure he is within 6-8" of it. He's probably not getting enough UVB and that could be why he's not eating properly or growing at all. Stick ons are inaccurate and I suggest you get a laser thermometer, they are accurate and give you immediate temperature results. At the moment if you can't afford a reptisun, just put in a branch of some sorts to get him closer to his uvb light, I'm assuming you have the coil one. Make sure its not a branch from outside because it could have bugs or parasites that can make him sicker. make sure he's getting enough calcium powder to help him grow and give him energy. If you have any of that carnivore supplement, try and give him a little bit right now so he has some extra energy as you get everything you need for his tank.

Peachyken

Bearded Dragon Egg
As Finniansmom stated, the basking temps may be off. Stick ons can be off by 10-20 degrees, and that can make a deadly difference for beardies.
I don't recommend starter kits because almost everything in them will need to be replaced or upgraded-the tanks are too small, they come with bad thermometers and UVBs (sometimes even hot rocks), and bad substrate. I did the math, and a $150 starter kit ends up being over $400-500 with all the replacements and size upgrades that would have to be made.
I love the little penguin in his tank, it's adorable :)
Thank you his name is Pengi and it’s his best friend. Also I noticed ever since I got the ceramic heat emitter for him at night that it isn’t helping are there alternatives to the coil for him at night since the lights are bad and the coils? What do you guys use for at night?

Peachyken

Bearded Dragon Egg
Change the UVB to the reptisun one and make sure he is within 6-8" of it. He's probably not getting enough UVB and that could be why he's not eating properly or growing at all. Stick ons are inaccurate and I suggest you get a laser thermometer, they are accurate and give you immediate temperature results. At the moment if you can't afford a reptisun, just put in a branch of some sorts to get him closer to his uvb light, I'm assuming you have the coil one. Make sure its not a branch from outside because it could have bugs or parasites that can make him sicker. make sure he's getting enough calcium powder to help him grow and give him energy. If you have any of that carnivore supplement, try and give him a little bit right now so he has some extra energy as you get everything you need for his tank.
Yea I’m heading to the pet store later today to grab the new light and hopefully the thermometer gun is there too. I gave him some of the carnivore care at noon and now he’s under his light so I’m hoping he just sticks it out for a few nights since obviously he won’t be amazingly better over night. Also would you recommend me getting a smaller tank for him? His is 40gal could that be an issue as well? Since he’s so tiny?

Emilia Thuet

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Yea I’m heading to the pet store later today to grab the new light and hopefully the thermometer gun is there too. I gave him some of the carnivore care at noon and now he’s under his light so I’m hoping he just sticks it out for a few nights since obviously he won’t be amazingly better over night. Also would you recommend me getting a smaller tank for him? His is 40gal could that be an issue as well? Since he’s so tiny?
The size of the tank doesn’t matter a lot. They grow into it anyways I had my beardie in a 55 gallon since he was a month old to around 10 months old. The pet store probably won’t have thermometer gun I ordered mine off Amazon for like $15. Also while you’re at the pet store look through the aquarium section. They usually have large branch like structures that you can totally use for your beardie so he can get closer to the light. Here’s the one I have for my beardie.

Attachments

• 7E19F5DB-7088-44B1-9046-2FA6FAE8FA23.png
    7E19F5DB-7088-44B1-9046-2FA6FAE8FA23.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 6

Peachyken

Bearded Dragon Egg
Okay sounds good thank you for sending me the picture :)

Thank you so so much for all your guys’ help it means so much to me I’ll try to post and keep updates on how he’s doing and if I have other questions.

Emilia Thuet

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Also for mighty time temperature the only thing you really can use with beardies is a ceramic heart emitter. Maybe get a smaller one but they usually don’t always need one it’s just if your room is less thuan 70F than I would. You can also but the heat emitter over his hammock and always move him there eaten it’s time for bed. Beardies should be on a 12hr light and dark schedule and make sure it’s completely dark for him so he can have a good night sleep.

Peachyken

Bearded Dragon Egg
Also for mighty time temperature the only thing you really can use with beardies is a ceramic heart emitter. Maybe get a smaller one but they usually don’t always need one it’s just if your room is less thuan 70F than I would. You can also but the heat emitter over his hammock and always move him there eaten it’s time for bed. Beardies should be on a 12hr light and dark schedule and make sure it’s completely dark for him so he can have a good night sleep.
Okay sounds good I usually cover him up too at night. And were in the basement I don’t exactly have a room so I hope the heater is still okay to use at night.

Latest posts