• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Veggy's and if they're a no can do?

Shoulon

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
At the moment I can't feed my beardy Veggy's unless it's those almost colorless pre-made salads we eat. I heard those arent good for them since there nutritionless, and will just make the poop "runny." Is it possible to by-pass this for the time being and or make like a 3-4 times a week for veggys? I mean as logn as I use suppliments like Miltivitamin and the repCal?

also at the moment i've only been able to feed him crickets. Have had him for three days now. I'm sure petco doesn't feed there beardys veggys, since all i saw where mealworms in a feeding rock.

lexi

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
How old is your beardie? Babies and juveniles, while they should be provided a daily salad, are likely not going to suffer if it is not provided for a week. I wouldn't feed him the salad mix, since you don't want him getting diarrhea.

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I would keep offering a fresh salad daily. Here's a link to our caresheet. It discusses the greens and veggies that you can offer. Most babies do not eat their salad, but it should still be offered daily. Once they reach 1 year old, this will be their daily staple. Give it time and experiment with different kinds to see what your beardie likes. Offer the salad first thing in the morning, about 30 minutes after lights are on. Then offer the protein a bit later.

Bearded Dragon Care

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Any squashes are fine, mustard, turnip and collard greens are good too.
might want to consider growing a pot of staples from seed.

Also, dandelion and rocket are good as well.
Hope this helps out !
Janie

corrine

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
You shoud keep up with the salad daily. As adults a beardies diet will consist mostly of veggies. It's much easier to get a baby eating greens than trying to introduce them as adults. Beautifuldragons.com has a great nutrition sheet showing what beardies can eat.

lexi

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I'm still saying no on the salad, because of the dragon's age. I am assuming, since you said you got your dragon 3 days ago from PetCo, that he is pretty young. Young beardies dehydrate faster than adults and their systems are more fragile. I can't see any reason why giving a baby a food that may cause diarrhea would be a good idea, especially since babies generally don't eat their salad the way adults do, anyway. You should be offering it still, but if all you have to offer right now is something that might cause the runs, I'd stick with just crickets for now. When you can get more greens, the links and advice provided above will help you decide which ones are best.

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
The Pre-made salad mix you have is not something i would feed a dragon no matter the age. Is your problem keeping the greens fresh? If so (and i know its a as seen on tv product but it is awesome) i suggest buying a pack of 'green bags'. My collards and mustard will literally stay crisp in the fridge for 2+ weeks (though i rarely have greens last that long without being eaten).

Shoulon

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Well I ask mostly cause I was wondering what a proper feeding schedule would be, cause I'm in my senior year of high school, will be graduating in two months. So I can only feed him morning and after I get home. (at the moment at least.) Got little time atm =/

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
It depends how much time you have in the morning before you leave.

I would start with salad 30 minutes after lights are on. Then follow with a couple bugs.

When you get home, I would feed more bugs. They can eat up to an hour before lights are off. Beardies will eat their fill within 10-15 minutes of having the bugs.

Latest posts