• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

UVB

Knowinghades63

Bearded Dragon Egg
I always see people on here talking about the coiled light bulbs being bad for their bear does eyes and I don’t want that. So I am posting pics of all of her lights so that the community can tell me if they think they are fine or if they will need changing. The little lamp doesn’t get run everyday just on day where her temps are a little low. The first pic is the uvb bulb which is really the bulb in question but I will take any advice given thanks in advance.

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I always see people on here talking about the coiled light bulbs being bad for their bear does eyes and I don’t want that. So I am posting pics of all of her lights so that the community can tell me if they think they are fine or if they will need changing. The little lamp doesn’t get run everyday just on day where her temps are a little low. The first pic is the uvb bulb which is really the bulb in question but I will take any advice given thanks in advance.

Please get rid of all the coils --- they are inadequate for UVB and can cause eye issues -- Here is some info on UVB's then I am going to post what you should replace w/

Which UVB light should I use?

The best UVB light is a ReptiSun 10.0 fluorescent tube HO (Or Arcardia 12% in the UK). Compact or coil bulbs do not emit the proper amount of UVB light for a bearded dragon, and should not be used. Other brands, such as the Zilla Desert Series and ReptiGlo have been known to cause eye problems and other health issues with bearded dragons, and should be avoided. The reason that some UVB lights (Zilla, ReptiGlo, coils/compacts, ect.) are considered dangerous is because the wavelength of UVB that they emit is shorter and more intense than the wavelength of the "safe" lights (ReptiSun, Arcadia). UVB lights should be replaced every 6 months. The T5’s are a strong bulb and only need to be replaced once a year – the T 8 every 6 months--- where as the T 8 are not as strong—they need to be placed inside the tank the T 5 10.0 bulb approx 12-15 inches from basking spot – the T 8 approx 6-8 inches from basking spot—the cover needs to be off the bulb for full effect of the UVB rays--
If your tank is a 40+ gallon tank please get this
And this bulb
these are the best on the market at this time -- please replace ASAP-- I would call this place they are in CA and find out how soon they are shipping --
You need this for a basking bulb -- you can get this at your local Petsmart or Petco
Start w/ a 100 watt --- you MUST have a digital probe thermometer to get a actual basking temp --- NO stick ons they are inaccurate --- I dont know how the dragon is so if you have a baby 105-110 NO hotter -- for a juvie / adult 95-110- adults do not like it real hot --- I would suggest a piece of decor that offers a heat gradient - Petsmart and Petco have great decor pieces to offer that --

Latest posts