• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

UVB

Tyler_Vance

Juvenile Dragon
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1413736841.317834.jpg

I'm not sure where to mount the UVB and what size to get?

He has to get within like 6" from the bulb right? That would mean creating a pretty high basking spot.

Opinions would be nice please it's 2ft high

Tyler_Vance

Juvenile Dragon
Top of the green ramp is 98 degrees and the top of the tile is 102 cool side is 83 and that's with the sliding glass door open to my room that has a fan on so it will probably heat up a bit more with it closed I would imagine. Sorry for the poor lighting,

I will pick up the uvb bulb tomorrow and mount it and then he's good to move into the new home. The debris on the tile is saw dust from drilling the hole above for the wires to run through.

I have two ceramic light fixtures mounted on the roof. One for a 75w heat bulb and the other a 50w ceramic heater so it won't drop below 70 on the floor (has been at 76 with the ceramic heater on) so when one turns off on the timer the other turns on

I also have a tub in my garage full of play sand I picked up because I was ether
A. Going to have it over the tile so he can dig but the wood would still be covered from it getting wet.
B. I was going to make just a sand box on the left side for him to dig in
C. Not use any sand and keep it how it is
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1413779241.146058.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1413779251.540936.jpg

Henry X Stella

Hatchling Dragon
looks great!! a 24" reptisun UVB should do well in there mounted on and angle across the roof.
As far as sand goes I'd leave it alone...i mean it's personal preference and I too thought it looked cool at one point,
but the risk just isn't worth it in my eyes.

Tyler_Vance

Juvenile Dragon
looks great!! a 24" reptisun UVB should do well in there mounted on and angle across the roof.
As far as sand goes I'd leave it alone...i mean it's personal preference and I too thought it looked cool at one point,
but the risk just isn't worth it in my eyes.

That's why I've hesitated to put it in haha. I bought a 36" it was suppose to come with a fixture and 10.0 bulb. But the bulb was missing so I will be returning to the store after work

jarich

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Is that a 4 ft long enclosure? I'm guessing from your description that the fixture is a normal output T8, correct? If so I would recommend keeping the 36". They produce a quite limited amount of UV, so you really need to have a good long bulb to give off a large area of exposure

Tyler_Vance

Juvenile Dragon
Is that a 4 ft long enclosure? I'm guessing from your description that the fixture is a normal output T8, correct? If so I would recommend keeping the 36". They produce a quite limited amount of UV, so you really need to have a good long bulb to give off a large area of exposure

It's actually a 36" reptison There new t5 they're smaller Fluorescent tubes but put out 2 times as much apparently, according to the guy at LLL this one will work great

jarich

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Great! They're a far superior type of bulb and fixture. In that case, you'll have a couple things to keep in mind. First, you don't want the new T5s (with the reflector in the fixture) closer than about 15" to the reptile, so it looks like you may want to mount it slightly in front of that highest basking area if that's closer than about 15". Secondly, those T5 fixtures kick out a pretty good bit of heat. So with it mounted inside your enclosure, it's going to increase your ambient temps a bit. Just make sure to keep an eye on it so it doesn't get too hot on the cool side.

They're great lights though. Way better than the old T8s!

Tyler_Vance

Juvenile Dragon
Great! They're a far superior type of bulb and fixture. In that case, you'll have a couple things to keep in mind. First, you don't want the new T5s (with the reflector in the fixture) closer than about 15" to the reptile, so it looks like you may want to mount it slightly in front of that highest basking area if that's closer than about 15". Secondly, those T5 fixtures kick out a pretty good bit of heat. So with it mounted inside your enclosure, it's going to increase your ambient temps a bit. Just make sure to keep an eye on it so it doesn't get too hot on the cool side.

They're great lights though. Way better than the old T8s!

That's some good advice I will adjust it tomorrow to the front of the vivarium. I think that top platform is roughly a foot away from the light. So maybe that's too close? Or fine for the occasional time he's up there. That's odd that you say that the t5 kicks out more heat the guy at lll said it doesn't get that hot. Maybe he meant the bulb itself?

jarich

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Ya probably. The bulb doesn't get hot but the fixture itself puts quite a bit of heat out. So it will increase the ambients a bit but not any basking temp.

Tyler_Vance

Juvenile Dragon
Well I hope it holds! I have 2 thick zipties holding it up right now until I can get the chains for like ceiling fans to use. The store had it on display and was held by zipties so it should be fine

jarich

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Itll hold for awhile but I wouldnt leave it that way permanently. Zipties actually dont hold up well in heat and UV, the plastic degrades and it breaks fairly easily after just a few months. It doesnt take very thick chain to hold it though. I use just the hobby chain and its held for years.

Latest posts