• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

UVB vs UVA

RyanHuff20

Hatchling Dragon
What does a UVB do that a UVA doesn't? Up until now it was to my understanding that they did the same thing /: I only have a UVA for my baby Gordon but I don't really have the money to go buy a UVB bulb and fixture. Any insight on this situation will be very much appreciated

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
UVA is basically nothing more than white light, any white or clear bulb emits UVA. UVB is necessary for BDs in captivity, to replace what they are missing naturally from the sun. UVB enables their Body to manufacture Vit D3, which in turn enables their system to process their much needed calcium. They are not the same thing at all. A specialty UVB bulb 10.0 (10%) or better is an absolute must & is not an option whether to have one or not if you are going to keep a BD. Providing UVB is a Basic part of BD husbandry. Without it for any extended length of time will put your BD at risk of Calcium deficiency & serious diseases like MBD (Metabolic Bone Disease).

There is no ifs, buts or maybes, you need to get a UVB source asap.

RyanHuff20

Hatchling Dragon
What if I am feeding him calcium powder with vitamin D3 weekly? Will this at least buy me time until I can pick up a UVB light?

gilliesexotics

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hi, Yes it will give you time to buy a uvb bulb. A uvb light also gives off light in the color spectrum that will benefit the overall health of your dragon also. Its kinda like if we would stick a human in a jail cell for a period of time. Even though you are getting the nutrients you need from your meal they are eating. Your overall physical and mental condition improves from natural sunlight. Your dragon needs one and needs one as soon as you can possibly get one :)