• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

UVB Stuff

SideShowMom

Bearded Dragon Egg
Ok, so we've had our dragon girl almost 2 weeks and I'm still trying to figure out her lighting so I can get it bought. She has a temporary UVB lamp borrowed from the Russian tortoise who can go outside most days and get his.

According to what I've been reading, the best practice is to get a T5 fixture, 2/3 the length of the enclosure with a Reptisun 10.0 HO tube.

What I've been finding as I shop for these is that the fixtures meant for pets are terribly expensive for 22" tubes. Lowe's has one, meant for under-counter use, that is reasonably priced. Also that not many sellers carry the Reptisun 10.0 T5 22s. I found that at Petco online. Does anybody have anyplace they like to get theirs from?

diegothediggy

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
Beardie Club
Ok, so we've had our dragon girl almost 2 weeks and I'm still trying to figure out her lighting so I can get it bought. She has a temporary UVB lamp borrowed from the Russian tortoise who can go outside most days and get his.

According to what I've been reading, the best practice is to get a T5 fixture, 2/3 the length of the enclosure with a Reptisun 10.0 HO tube.

What I've been finding as I shop for these is that the fixtures meant for pets are terribly expensive for 22" tubes. Lowe's has one, meant for under-counter use, that is reasonably priced. Also that not many sellers carry the Reptisun 10.0 T5 22s. I found that at Petco online. Does anybody have anyplace they like to get theirs from?
Ebay the best place n cheapest :)

jarich

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Its important to remember that sometimes you get what you pay for. The cheap under the counter fixtures you are looking at are not meant for a high output UV producing bulb. So its kind of like shooting yourself in the foot by buying the cheaper fixture. You spend all the money on the bulb, but then limit the output of it by getting a non high output UV fixture. There are higher quality T5 fixtures available in other stores, but you have to know what you are looking for in the component parts, and they usually only end up running about $10 cheaper. As a result, I always recommend sticking with the reptile branded ones for ease on the buyer.

SideShowMom

Bearded Dragon Egg
Thank you for the comments Josh, Diego and Jarich. I'm still searching, for the HO fixture now. I can get one with the discounts on Petco for $50 with all the tax and shipping. Will search on ebay, haven't done that yet, doesn't seem the place to get new/gently used electrics, but I've been wrong before. Will check seller reviews carefully.

candybar213

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
No difference in a high output fixture as long as it runs the gas in the bulb it is fine. If you get a mercury vapor bulb or florescent just get that style fixture.

SideShowMom

Bearded Dragon Egg
I've been doing some reading, the input wattages of the HO ballasts are what is different about the fixtures. A 22" HO T5 takes in 24 watts but a 22" under-counter non-ho runs on 14-17 watts. I understand enough about electricity to know that if I run the 24 watt HO tube on a 17 watt fixture, I will only get 17 watts of light. http://www.ebay.com/gds/Learn-befo...-fluorescent-lamps-/10000000012569065/g.html Here is a reference from another source besides Jarich is you want.

Henry X Stella

Hatchling Dragon
I've switched to 125w MVB's in my old ceramic fixtures with the metal domes removed since they're self ballasted.
Fixtures are "Great Choice" brand and rated to 660w. Picked a couple up at PetSmart during a 2 for 1 sale $14.99
And PetSuppliesPlus has SolarGlow 125w for $26.99 right now :cool:
Most simple, affordable setup for a dragon I've ever had and they've literally been smiling ever since the new light came on.

SideShowMom

Bearded Dragon Egg
Those sound like good prices and I'm glad for you. I'm not considering the dome or spot-type lamps, except for basking heat, because the dragons need UVB available throughout their habitat, not just in one area.

Henry X Stella

Hatchling Dragon
I'm not considering the dome or spot-type lamps, except for basking heat, because the dragons need UVB available throughout their habitat, not just in one area.

http://www.exo-terra.com/en/products/solar_glo.php

It puts off plenty UVB up to 20" and I'm only using in hatchling bins,
bulbs 16" off the ground with 4" raised basking area so all is well.
Furthest distance from bulb in bin is just under 20" :)

Latest posts