• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

UVB Lighting and Basking Light

cra

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I am wondering what brand is better?? I see some people don't like a some of them. I am wondering why and what people like.

And Basking light I have 100 watt. temp is 100 with undertank heater on that end also middle of tank is 85 and cool end is 70. Wondering if this right???

Pet store tried to tell me that this is too hot for them. But with everything I'm reading this is right.

Thank you this is what I am the most worried about.

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Temps are very important. Your basking spot should be between 105-110 for a beardie under 1 year of age. Your cool side should be around 85F. Night temps should not drop below 65F.

So, I would say that your pet store is a bit off.

Beardies need a UV light to properly digest their food. I'm partial to the ReptiSun 10.0 tube. It is the best on the market.

Basking light just needs to have the temp right.

Temps should be measured with a temp gun or digital probe thermometer. These provide the most accurate reading.

cra

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Thank you, I am glad to hear that I am doing the lighting right and have brought the good brands of those!!!!
Now just need to get some tile now for the tank and we will all ready to go!!!!

Just one more question, from what I'm understanding that I need to but the basking and UVB light in the same spot. I do have Repti bulb.

moth_ay

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
So I'm finishing my burn off period for my powersun bulb, 100 watt... and it made me wonder (80 dollars later) is that going to be enough? Dude is in a 40 gallon set up... do I need more lights? Need to switch out to something different? I was reading the "Why am I not pooping" link on the care sheet, and it said something about reptisun... the bulb for the reptisun is WAY cheaper... and was the article talking about adding the reptisun to the powersun? Argh confused :(

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
You will need to measure your temps to see if you are fine. We are fans of the ReptiSun 10.0 tube. It is your UV light. The Powersun referenced in the article would be your basking light (no UV).

The mercury is a basking light and UV light in one.

moth_ay

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
ruh roh... I'm a little confused...

my powersun bulb says it's a "self-ballasted mercury vapor UVB lamp." This powersun is OK right?

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Of the top 3, it's third... Mega is #1, T rex active heat MVB is #2.
like I said.. you can add a secondary heat source.
janie

moth_ay

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Okee dokee, next time I will be buying a mega....

Added a secondary heat sort, spot light. Temps are perfect now :D

Just to clarify again, (sorry, bit slow at times ;)) the bulb I've currently is enough UV light.... correct?

Latest posts