• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

UVB hood/bulb length for 120 gal

Mistergreenbeans

Bearded Dragon Egg
Upgrading tank size to a 48x24x24. I’m reading mixed reviews on how long the uvb tube light should be. On his 36x18x18 I have a 24” hood with a 22” 10.0 uvb bulb. The lid on the new tank is mesh that works with “most uvb and heat bulbs.” So I’m assuming the hood on top of the tank will be fine.

Do I need a larger hood/bulb? Should it span the tank or just 2/3 or 3/4? I’m seeing a lot of different answers online. I’ll have on his basking spot no matter what. The mesh part of the top is 40.2” so do I need the 36” or is my 24” enough?

Thanks!

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Upgrading tank size to a 48x24x24. I’m reading mixed reviews on how long the uvb tube light should be. On his 36x18x18 I have a 24” hood with a 22” 10.0 uvb bulb. The lid on the new tank is mesh that works with “most uvb and heat bulbs.” So I’m assuming the hood on top of the tank will be fine.

Do I need a larger hood/bulb? Should it span the tank or just 2/3 or 3/4? I’m seeing a lot of different answers online. I’ll have on his basking spot no matter what. The mesh part of the top is 40.2” so do I need the 36” or is my 24” enough?

Thanks!
Your 24" is fine but the UVB must go into the tank ---it should be directly above the basking decor piece 12-15 inches -- screens block 30% of rays and 24 inches is too far away - so please put it in the tank w/ the distance I gave you

Mistergreenbeans

Bearded Dragon Egg
Your 24" is fine but the UVB must go into the tank ---it should be directly above the basking decor piece 12-15 inches -- screens block 30% of rays and 24 inches is too far away - so please put it in the tank w/ the distance I gave you
Is there a special type of bulb housing to put inside the tank? Or do I somehow attach the hood I have now on the inside?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Is there a special type of bulb housing to put inside the tank? Or do I somehow attach the hood I have now on the inside?
The hood / fixture can be hung w/ picture wire hanger I recommend that or long plastic zip ties or fishing line or 3M velcro fasteners --- your hood / fixture has a reflector in it correct?

Mistergreenbeans

Bearded Dragon Egg
The hood / fixture can be hung w/ picture wire hanger I recommend that or long plastic zip ties or fishing line or 3M velcro fasteners --- your hood / fixture has a reflector in it correct?
Yep! It’s a zoo-med reptile terrarium hood.

Latest posts