• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

UVB distance to dragon through metal mesh? (10 uvb t5 fluourescent lamp HO)

brianm97

Bearded Dragon Egg
Reptisun states that 'distance from lamp to animal' for this lamp 'Reptisun 10 uvb t5 fluourescent lamp' should be 18-36 inches. I currently have a metal mesh roof in my tank about 9-12 inches away from my dragon - picture attached with penny for reference of hole size. Is it okay to keep my 9-12 inch distance? I currently have another 10 uvb mini compact lamp in the part of my tank where there isnt a roof but i wanted to get another light that covers the rest of the tank (although I read that its suggested only 2/3 of tank to have UVB so i will have to cover a section of the tank so that it's uvb free) I'd be willing to cut the roof and make a wide hole so that the lamp isn't altered by the mesh too

EDIT: after reading this post https://www.beardeddragon.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=222717 it seems like my long light in question here should be fine. Does this mean i should ditch my other mini light completely and will be fine with just this 10 uvb t5 lamp? also is it recommend i cut through the roof so uvb isn't blocked at this distance of 9-12?

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 53

jadac

Bearded Dragon Egg
Reptisun states that 'distance from lamp to animal' for this lamp 'Reptisun 10 uvb t5 fluourescent lamp' should be 18-36 inches. I currently have a metal mesh roof in my tank about 9-12 inches away from my dragon - picture attached with penny for reference of hole size. Is it okay to keep my 9-12 inch distance? I currently have another 10 uvb mini compact lamp in the part of my tank where there isnt a roof but i wanted to get another light that covers the rest of the tank (although I read that its suggested only 2/3 of tank to have UVB so i will have to cover a section of the tank so that it's uvb free) I'd be willing to cut the roof and make a wide hole so that the lamp isn't altered by the mesh too

EDIT: after reading this post https://www.beardeddragon.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=222717 it seems like my long light in question here should be fine. Does this mean i should ditch my other mini light completely and will be fine with just this 10 uvb t5 lamp? also is it recommend i cut through the roof so uvb isn't blocked at this distance of 9-12?
Yes your uvb should be fine and with that long light you should be fine ditching the mini uvb but you still do need a light for basking too. You can do this with an mvb or get a regular basking light

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Get rid of the screen mesh and put up “hog” or “chicken” wire , you dont want your beardie to be able to get at ur lights

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club

Your screen is fine for on top but basking decor should be 8-10 inches directly underneath- that topic is old that you posted- I would watch the behavior of the dragon if you start getting non eating lethargic behavior or you see the dragon trying to get closer to the UVB stool issues w/ not changing the diet then I would consider moving the UVB into the tank

Latest posts