• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

UVB/Distance from basking area

Taerae95

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hey everyone! I’m a new beardie owner and I’m stressing out over how to set up the appropriate UVB. I have an arcadia 14% t5 24watt HO. It’s 22 inches. She has a 40g Thrive tank. I’ve had her almost a month and she was maybe 2-3 months old when I got her.
She has so much personality, eats like a champ (even her greens) and I just want to make sure I’m not going to hurt her with the strong light if it’s too close.

I was planning to put the UVB over the mesh top obviously, but I’m still worried it may be too close to her eye level. The guides I’ve read says it needs to be 8-13 inches from her basking spot.

Does anyone have a similar setup with some advice? I’d prefer not to totally rearrange her house but I’m open to it to give her the best.

Picture is of her basking tree compared to heat lamp placement. Thank you in advance ❤️

Attachments

• 4A9EB769-D870-497C-87F2-3590514406AF.jpeg
    4A9EB769-D870-497C-87F2-3590514406AF.jpeg
    4.2 MB · Views: 157

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hey everyone! I’m a new beardie owner and I’m stressing out over how to set up the appropriate UVB. I have an arcadia 14% t5 24watt HO. It’s 22 inches. She has a 40g Thrive tank. I’ve had her almost a month and she was maybe 2-3 months old when I got her.
She has so much personality, eats like a champ (even her greens) and I just want to make sure I’m not going to hurt her with the strong light if it’s too close.

I was planning to put the UVB over the mesh top obviously, but I’m still worried it may be too close to her eye level. The guides I’ve read says it needs to be 8-13 inches from her basking spot.

Does anyone have a similar setup with some advice? I’d prefer not to totally rearrange her house but I’m open to it to give her the best.

Picture is of her basking tree compared to heat lamp placement. Thank you in advance ❤️
The 14% bulb is for a tank of 24" height-- it is a very strong bulb -- if your tank is only 18" high I would recommend exchanging it for a 12% bulb -- I did use the 14% bulb in my Zen tank which had a height of 24" - I had it on the inside of the tank strapped to the top of the screen -- my basking decor piece was 17-18 inches underneath -- let me find out if its useable for a 18" height -- what kind of screen is on the tank? fine mesh or a wide holed type?

Taerae95

Bearded Dragon Egg
The 14% bulb is for a tank of 24" height-- it is a very strong bulb -- if your tank is only 18" high I would recommend exchanging it for a 12% bulb -- I did use the 14% bulb in my Zen tank which had a height of 24" - I had it on the inside of the tank strapped to the top of the screen -- my basking decor piece was 17-18 inches underneath -- let me find out if its useable for a 18" height -- what kind of screen is on the tank? fine mesh or a wide holed type?
I was under the assumption it was fine mesh but I’ll attach a picture to be sure. Thank you so much for your replies.

Attachments

• 55AE50F8-145F-4EDF-89DF-522D8BB125F3.jpeg
    55AE50F8-145F-4EDF-89DF-522D8BB125F3.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 154

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Thank you
He got back w/ me and this is his response

A 12% would probably be more suitable, but the 14% may work if there are plenty of shade areas and areas the dragon can bask in with decent temps (high 90s) and little to no UVB exposure. This can be done by moving the UVB along the front or back of the enclosure to create a gradient along the depth. You can also build/buy a grow lamp stand and suspend that above the enclosure and hang the UVB fixture from it. That will allow for some extra distance.

It is up to you just remember that bulb is strong if you decide to keep it -- I personally would exchange it for a 12% - let me know what you decide to do -- you have options for placement since you have a wide hole screen

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
He got back w/ me and this is his response

A 12% would probably be more suitable, but the 14% may work if there are plenty of shade areas and areas the dragon can bask in with decent temps (high 90s) and little to no UVB exposure. This can be done by moving the UVB along the front or back of the enclosure to create a gradient along the depth. You can also build/buy a grow lamp stand and suspend that above the enclosure and hang the UVB fixture from it. That will allow for some extra distance.

It is up to you just remember that bulb is strong if you decide to keep it -- I personally would exchange it for a 12% - let me know what you decide to do -- you have options for placement since you have a wide hole screen
He also said this about the wide hole screen

That will cut some of the output, but I still wouldn't put it closer than 12-14'' or so and would set it toward the front or back rather than right over the center.

Taerae95

Bearded Dragon Egg
He also said this about the wide hole screen

That will cut some of the output, but I still wouldn't put it closer than 12-14'' or so and would set it toward the front or back rather than right over the center.
I haven’t opened the package for the bulb yet so I’m going to just go exchange it today. She gets some natural uvb from our daily outside trips so I’ll wait to get the 14% when I upgrade her enclosure size.

This was the best and most comprehensive answer I’ve been able to get. And you were really quick too. Thank you very much. And tell your friend I said thank you as well!

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I haven’t opened the package for the bulb yet so I’m going to just go exchange it today. She gets some natural uvb from our daily outside trips so I’ll wait to get the 14% when I upgrade her enclosure size.

This was the best and most comprehensive answer I’ve been able to get. And you were really quick too. Thank you very much. And tell your friend I said thank you as well!
Ok just make sure the tank is at least 24" high for the 14% bulb

Latest posts