• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

UVB Bulbs and the confustion around them - Help!

fergie

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Hi All, hope everyone is having a great V-tines Day! ;D

My simple question is this...we have a 36" front opening viv that you can get from most reptile stores. We just repaced the UVB bulb with a Repti-Glo 10.0, we were not able to find a Repti-Sun 10.0 as we were advised by a breeder.

My question is all the reading I'm doing, it points to the Sun 10.0 as the best, yet one pet store I went to that specializes in reptiles, all 5-new bulbs they had (repti-Sun) the one end of tangs were broken on all 5. So I bought the Repti-Glo so I could have one for my beardie.

Is there any strong scientific research (went to www.beautifuldragons.com) and they don't list that one yet, but I'm hoping someone may shed some light on this for me.

Thanks,

egg 80

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
to be honest i cant always get hold of a repti sun 10.0 and when i cant i use repti glow 10.0, from what info i can find all i see is that the repti glow is like the cheaper version of the reptisun and the reptiglow doesnt produce as strong rays of uv.
the bulb you bought still produces plenty of uv rays for your beardie it isnt somthing you want to worry about the reptisun is just the better advised to get if you use a reflector on your light then the rays can get twice as strong
im not the best on this info and no dout that someone will fill in the gaps for you lol.
if you do some research on the net youll find there are alot more uv bulbs out there suitable for your bearded dragons other than the reptisun.
like i said if i cant get the reptisun i use the reptiglow and i have never had any problems with my dragons
hope this helps
paul

TheWolfmanTom

Dragon Breeder
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
The glo is a bulb that is slowly getting better. The problem is its inconsitancy. 1 can work great, and the next you get doesnt produce enough/or to much uvb.
I have seen articles about this but I have to find them to be honest.
I have started using a uvb meter due to the amount of bulbs I have, so I rarly get caught by a bad bulb.
for mvb or uvb meters go here.http://www.reptileuv.com/
go here to get reptisun 10 bulbs. http://www.petmountain.com/home

fergie

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Hi and thanks for the replies.

It's very confusing and of course, the smaller reptile shops have un-educated staff that are typically paid on sales.

I thought about a UV meter, maybe now is the time.

Thanks,

Latest posts