• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

UVB Bulb in Wal Mart Fixture

SoniaDay

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi all!

This is my first forum post so please just bear with me!

My issue:

Just bought the 24" Reptisun 10.0 florescent bulb because I was starting to worry when Smaug started to close one eye from her solor glow mercury bulb(Exo Terra Solar-Glo High Intensity Self-Ballasted Uv/Heat Mercury Vapor Lamp, 125-Watt ). I'm guessing I had it too close but the box came with no directions on how far to put it!! Read reviews and just don't think they are the best or safe for her although the vet recommended I get her a mercury bulb after her Coccidia issues. So I was doing some reasearch on what folks are using for UVB and came up with the Reptisun 10.0 with a Wal Mart fixture then attaching it to the inside of the tank. Went and bought the bulb and the fixture and noticed that the bulb is 18watts vs the 17watt fixture.

My question:

Are people using the 24" Reptisun 10.0 bulb with the Wal Mart fixture regardless of wattage? Is this safe to use? Don't want to start a fire or destroy such an exspensive bulb. Please help! Any suggestions much appreciated! I want to get the best for my Smaug!!

diegothediggy

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
Beardie Club
Yeh it will b fine its only if it a real big difference that ot will matter.like 50 watt to a 10 watt fixture. But yeh ur perfectly safe:)

Luvthemanimal

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Putting a bulb in wrong wattage housing can cause the bulb to prematurely burn out...... And in worse cases cause the housing to heat up more than normal.....

It's just like in your house fixtures...... There's always a warning label saying max wattage right...... Well she goes both ways...... Never put a higher wattage bulb in a lower wattage fixture....... Fixture can't power the bulb properly

ilovebeardies

Juvenile Dragon
I put a higher wattage bulb in my fixture by accident didn't realize fixture was slightly lower and the bulb broke and fixture started smoking thank god it wasn't in tank. I advise against it personally.

jarich

Bearded Dragon Veteran
I would also recommend getting the Zoomed or other reptile/fish tank brand fixture. Those are engineered to maximize UV output from the bulb, and it makes a big difference on how much UVB light the bulb actually produces. Youve bought the good bulb, but with that cheap fixture it isnt going to be at its full output.

Latest posts