• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

UV Question

ajandj

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Ok, so l went and bought a replacement for my UVB that lasted a week (long story), anyway, i was reading the box and it says

"Position 30cm from animals."

Everything l have come across on the net has said to make sure the lizard is about 6 inches from the bulb. 30cm = 12 inches... So which is it?​

ajandj

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
box says
Compact Max Globe 5.0
*Quartz sleeve allows maximum UV Output.
*ES Compact UV Glove
*Emits UVA & UVB

Fliehigh

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Hi Ajandj

Thank you for the clarification.

Ok, so there are 2 issues with the bulb:

1) It is a 5.0 strenght. Dragons need desert strength which is at least 10.0
2) Compact Fluorescent bulbs can cause eye issues with all reptiles. The main issues is photo-kerato-conjunctivitis, it is lik getting welders flash or snow blindness (for those of us up north)

The CFL bubs also tend to spike the UVB out put and drop off very fast as well. Now that said I have seen situaions where the CFL bulbs work fine for a while and the dragons have no issues and then you put a new bulb in and they start refuse food and opening their eyes.

Please review this link for further info on photo-kerato-conjunctivitis and CFL bulbs:

http://www.uvguide.co.uk/phototherapyphosphor-info.htm

Fliehigh

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Well I can only tell you what I did:

I tested and played with CFL's and MVB bulbs trying to find a way to save money and cut down on the times I would need to replace the UVB.

In the end I ended up switchign 100% to Linear Fluorescent Bulbs (repti-Sun 10.0) for my UVB and I have had no issues since then. If your in the US or Canada you can go to Walmart and pickup a cheap Fluorescent light fixture (meant for under a kitchen cabinet or garage) for around $10-$15 and then mount it in the BD cage with a Linear bulb (Repti-sun 10.0 or an Arcadia 12.0).

This is what I did.

In the very least you NEED to chnage that 5.0 bulb for 10.0.

ajandj

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
was talking to hubby and i think we are going to just mount a fluro tube. Am is aussieland so not sure if we can get repi-sun.

the light fixture here are around the $30.. isn't that studip since our dollar is now worth more than the US.. go figure
anyway, l will see what l can find, and i will go for the 10.0. Also, can the fluro be ran on a thermostat?

ajandj

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
okay.... after 2 hours messing around down the street, i think l have it under control.
I took the Compact Max Globe 5.0 back and explained that l bought the wrong thing. Because it hadn't been opened they returned it (they weren't happy), but normally you cannot exchange lights.
I then bought a Reptile One 10.0 UV/UVB tube, 15watt and 18 inches long. Just perfect to fit the enclosure. They didn't have the fixture so l went to the lighting shop, the hardware shop and then the electrical shops to find out that the 18 inch was not a standard size. Then i had to go back to the petshop again and exchange the 15watt to an 18watt so i could then buy a standard fixture. I never in a million years thought l would have all the hassels i have with light fittings etc. Thank goodness thats over. Now hubby can wire it all up on the weekend and we'll be right to rock.​

ajandj

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
sorry, aussie slang
fluro - Fluorescent tube for UVB

The actual light fixture was $33.00 and the UV tube was $42

Fliehigh

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
A "fluro" gives off no heat, why would you put it on a thermostat?

You will need to have another light (this one can be a regular house hold flood light) for the heat and bright light. The only thing you would use a thermostat for is if you needed a CHE (Ceramic Heat Emitter) at night and that is only used if your house ambient temp dropped belwo 65F.

ajandj

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
because l already have 3 fittings in the enclosure, all 3 run off the thermostat. i have a basking light, a heat emitter and had a uvb bulb.. the uvb bulb blew out due to an adaptor l was using, l knew it shouldn't be on the thermostat but l have an electricial friend coming on the weekend to remove 2 of the fitting off the thermostat and only run the heat emitter. After hearing of the eye probs cause by bulb, i decided to go Fluorescent tube.
i currently only have the basking light and the heat emitter (which is turned off a night because my house doesn't get cold). The uvb bulb blew 2 days ago so Yoda will have been without UV in the enclosure for 4 days BUT l have been taking him outside and setup a temp enclosure so that during the warmerst part of the day he can go out for an hour or 2.

Fliehigh

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Sounds like you are doing the right things.

CHE only on the thermostat is perfect, then you can set it and forget it.

In regards to the UV, it is not always sunny in australia (even though the travel brochures tend to make you think that way :)) so 4 days without UVB isn't an issue. Just make sure he still gets the heat.

ajandj

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
You're right about the sun in australia. I'm in Victoria and we can have all four seasons in one day..
Heat his fine in the enclosure. Yoda is growing like a week. He put on 4 grams in 13 day and grew 1 1/2 in the same time. Doesn't sound much but he was 14 gram when l got him

Latest posts