• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

UV lighting

Dubya11

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
This is a topic with too much controversy first the compact could the pet shop ordered was bad then my power sun is going to be harmful so my question is will my new power sun bulb be okay?? I'll probably hang it above the tank to try and get some distance or aim it so the bulb So its not directly at him any advise will help I just got him he is still a baby and I'm already attached I frickin' love the little guy and I want the best for him

richard

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
when power suns first came out they also had problems emitting too much uvb causing a number of problems however im not sure about them now. maybe someone else can chime in about that. i saw them at petco yesterday at 80 bucks and that is ridiculous. i use solar glo's from exo terra right now. they have them at the reptile shows for about 30 bucks or so and i think they are 45 at the petsmart.

Dubya11

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Yeah, I just hopped on amazon and ordered the powrsun for 45. Please some do chime In I'm not sure what sites are correct some say the MVA flood lamps are the best and other say there bad but everything says compact coils are horrible

richard

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
i never used anything but mvb's and have never had problems. Bill is a breeder and prefers linear fluorescents. i use the mvb because it is one bulb and one fixture.( im cheap) uvb and heat all in one. but, i house my guys in 40 gallon tanks so when i set my baskin temp at one end, the cool end almost always works out to be between 80 and 85. i also have screens top with large holes so dragons cant get too close. i always set my baskin spot near the bottom of the tank and with a 160 watt bulb the baskin spot generally is between 13 and 15 inches from the bulb. just my opinion. both bulbs mvb and linear are perfectly good choices if used properly. compacts fluorescents are not one i would use. my vet sells and uses the power suns and he hasnt had problems with his .i just know they used to be a problem.

Dubya11

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Yeah well perfect yeah I don't use the long tube bulbs just beacause where my tank it it would be a pain to try and open up so I just have the light in the corner I have a picture of my current set up with the coil bulb I'll post it if my phone let's me and it won't let me so nevermind this is who they need a phone app

Brett

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
I'm using both the tubes and recently set up about half my tanks the the powersun. Although its early into it i'm not seeing any difference between the two. I want to pick up a uva/b meter so i can measure that output but haven't gotten to that yet when i get one ill post the results.

Latest posts