• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Uv light

cody

Hatchling Dragon
I was also wondering this. I have a T8 mounted inside that is off, and a T5 reptisu 10 overhead. Iv been wondering if I could turn the T8 on.

jarich

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Yes, they can get too much UVB. There is a minimum safe distance for each kind of UV producing light as a result of this. Too much can cause skin damage for them, just like it does for us. They have thick scales to protect them much more than our skin, but it still does get damaged by too much UV exposure.

Cody, since you have the T5 HO, its very unlikely you would ever need to turn the T8 on. How far away from the basking area is your T5? I suppose if you wanted you could put another non-UVB producing bulb in there for added light. They are sun loving creatures, so they love bright enclosures. Just make sure that its not mounted where the light will shine into its eyes from the side as this can cause eye damage.

cody

Hatchling Dragon
the t5 is about 13+ inches away from the basking spot. There's no screen so no light /uvb is being blocked.

jarich

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Ya, thats plenty then. At that distance, with that light and reflector, you are getting a UVI of around 5-6, which is quite strong. You can be sure your dragon is getting enough UVB at that distance. Again, you could just get a normal non UVB producing T8 bulb for the other fixture if you wanted to increase overall lumens.

Jdubclark

Hatchling Dragon
@jarich- I'm in the process of building my enclosure. I have purchased a T5 10.0 and was planning on mounting it under the lid. I haven't started making the basking areas but I plan on having several at different heights. The enclosure is 24" tall (60" wide x 20" deep). How far from the UVB should I be keeping in mind?
The T5 is 48" so I'll have some areas 'out of the sun'.

jarich

Bearded Dragon Veteran
It depends on the fixture, or more specifically, if the fixture has a reflector in it. Do you have a link to the one you purchased?

jarich

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Ok those come with the reflector built in. Theyre a great light, but because of how powerful they are, you dont want them any closer than about 12 inches from the dragons back at the closest. Id recommend a bit further if you are able. At 12" you are at about a 7 UVI (ultraviolet index), which is a pretty high index. Now these are sun loving lizards from the Outback, so they are used to that level of exposure. I wouldnt recommend that level for animals that arent used to being in the hot sun in a place like Australia though. So if you put a basking area at about 14" from the light (which would be about 12" from the dragons back) and then the ground at about 22" from the light that still gives you a UVI of 3 at ground level. Since you have a 4 foot light and a five foot enclosure, just make sure the light is all the way to one side so that you have an area on the other side that is basically free from exposure in case the dragon is feeling over exposed. Also make sure you have some hides so he can completely get out of the light if he ever wants to. Sounds like you are building a great enclosure so far though! Love hearing about bigger enclosures like this.

What other lighting are you using?

Jdubclark

Hatchling Dragon
Your Intel is off the charts. I really appreciate the information!

I haven't purchased the other light(s) yet. I figure with an enclosure this size I'll need something that puts off quite a bit of heat or possibly even get two basking lamps. I'll take any suggestions.

Thanks too for the compliments on the enclosure. It will take a while to complete and get all calibrated then I'll get the dragon. Probably around late July.

jarich

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Thanks for listening!

With that size you have a number of options. Will the lights be mounted inside or can you have them above/mounted on top?

Hmmmm...actually Jdub, could I ask you to do me a favour and start a new thread perhaps? I just remembered that we have kind of taken over Jerry's thread here. If you start a new thread about lighting I will keep responding there. If you can post a picture of your enclosure too that would be great.

Latest posts