• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Using a Probe thermometer

Red Ink AUS

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Hi Guys,

I have never really given this much thought before, you know you just do what you do lol. But it has come to my attention from discussions with people about the use of probe thermometers people may not be using them to their full potential.
There is no doubt that a digital probe thermostat is an accurate piece of equipment that no captive husbandry list should go without.
Now which brings me to my point, the correct way of using one.

Most people just simply place the probe on the basking spot then wait for a stable reading and say that's the temp.

Now here is a factor which may or may not render that reading invalid. How long has the heatsource been on shinning down on the basking spot?
A basking spot of any material will retain and conduct heat from the heat source specially if it has been on for a long period already. Can you imagine what would happen then if you put a probe on an already "hot" surface even with the light turned off?
What we need to be accurate about in temperature in regards to heating our specimens is "radiant" heat and not reflected heat. BDs do not use reflected/conducted heat.
So when you place the probe on the hot basking spot it will not only read the radiant heat from the light source but also conducted heat from the basking platform.

I have heard numerous times:
"My temps are too high...."
"I have a digital probe thermometer...."
"I use slate as a basking platform...."

Are the temps actually too high in regards to a "radiant" heat source?

The best way to measure the radiant heat source when using a probe thermometer is to start from a cold enclosure. Just like what your reptile would in the morning.
Simply place the probe on the basking platform before the heat light goes on and do a reading when the light goes on. This will give you a true reading of "radiant" temps without any interference from conducted heat from the basking platform. The true basking temperature for your dragon.

Now i know some of you guys have tempguns. They require a different technique in getting more accurate temps. Tempguns work on the principle of reflected heat (reflected IR radiation). They are no doubt more accurate than probe thermometers as the nature of IR radiation is not based on a man made gauge (temperature) but rather a stable wavelength of radiation in its intensity. This is then read by the unit and converted into the numbers we understand Celsius\Fahrenheit. But tempguns too are subject to the same interference from conducted heat from the basking surface. The most accurate way of measuring with a temp gun is by measuring the basking distance between the heat source and the basking platform. This information is needed when you take the light out place it in an alternative holder (desklamp would be the best) and placing a 500gsm white paper at the distance where the basking platform would be. You then do a reading from the other side of the paper (not the same side as where the light hits) with the temp gun. You are now measuring transmitted IR (IR passes through paper) and effectively measuring what temps your dragon would be feeling on it's back.

*the paper is to somewhat imitate the skin on the dragons back and to stop the tempgun from reading the heatsource directly.

Latest posts