• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Urgent question about gaping and diet

Beard314

Bearded Dragon Egg
I have an adult bearded dragon. I am not sure of his age as I got him fully grown from my sister as it was her young sons and he wasn't able to keep up on the cleaning and maintenance (he's only 8). Anyway all seemed fine except he does some "glass surfing" in the morning until I take him out. It seems to be his reflection in the glass and I tried everything with cardboard on this outside and inside but he can still see himself in the glass. I am thinking about buying one of those backgrounds that can go on the back and sides but the local pet store only had ones for aquariums.
The main worry I have and reason I am reaching out to you guys is my dragon started gaping the other day inside and out of his cage and I read about the causes and I don't think it's cause of heat because he has never done it before and I've seen him do it when he hasn't yet basked really. I also don't think it's humid inside the tank. I was really worried about a respiratory problem but I don't see any fluids on his face or hear any noises they say to look out for. The same day which I introduced collard greens to his diet and he loves them. I always fed him super worms and a little escarole before and I would rinse the escarole in water and put it in wet so he would get water in him because I never see him drink from his bowl. I did this with the collard greens and today I noticed a puddle of water and a little white thing on his climbing perch. I didn't see it happen but it must be diarrhea, I notice that bit of white when he takes his normal bowel movement. He did this in the morning and I only got him to eat a few super worms since. I am guessing I gave him too much water and he ate a lot of the collard greens and wanted nothing else the past two days.
Do you guys think he was gaping from the extra water intake from the greens? My stomach has been in knots because I really worry for my pet and love him so much. I thought he was going to otherwise be okay when I didn't see him gaping today but I saw him doing it once shortly ago when I tried to feed him a few super worms. He was basking at the time but again I never saw him do this before. He might still be full from the greens despite releasing all the water so I'm unsure about his appetite until tomorrow. I just want to be sure he's ok.

Kylie C

Hatchling Dragon
The white thing you saw was probably his urate. If it is totally white that is good and means he his hydrated! I don’t think it is bad that he expelled the extra water, maybe just try to be careful and monitor how much liquids he is getting. If he is letting his Nouth hang open while basking he is just cooling down, similar to how dogs pant when they get hot. If you look inside his mouth and it has like thick mucus and looks icky then he may have mouth rot, but it sounds like his appetite is fine, and if that is so and his mouth is okay then he most likely does not have mouth rot! I’ve never had my beardies gape from stress, but I think it’s a good thing you are getting backgrounds so he can’t see his reflection! You are a good parent

Latest posts