• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

URGENT: how to give calcium when they wont eat

baldegale14

Juvenile Dragon
so my beardie has a calcium deficiency. i moved away a few months ago and my parents never gave him calcium (hes with my parents, out of state) and currently hes sick to the point of not moving much and just laying on the ground flat. he wont eat anything, barely even insects (1-3 super worms a day) and hes barely been eating salads for awhile now. how can they get calcium into him?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
so my beardie has a calcium deficiency. i moved away a few months ago and my parents never gave him calcium (hes with my parents, out of state) and currently hes sick to the point of not moving much and just laying on the ground flat. he wont eat anything, barely even insects (1-3 super worms a day) and hes barely been eating salads for awhile now. how can they get calcium into him?

Sounds like your beardie needs more than just calcium and maybe more care than what they are able to give? There is liquid calcium that could be given in a slurry. So either a slurry, injections or him eating..
But if he's that sick they need to take him to the vet before it's too late.

Bellasmamma

Hatchling Dragon
Does he have a vet? Either way call a vet asap they will guide you. I pray you receive the help he needs to get well asap!

baldegale14

Juvenile Dragon
Sounds like your beardie needs more than just calcium and maybe more care than what they are able to give? There is liquid calcium that could be given in a slurry. So either a slurry, injections or him eating..
But if he's that sick they need to take him to the vet before it's too late.
they were/are feeding him daily, it was my fault because they watched me feed him all the time and i thought theyd know it was routine to give calcium, but clearly they didnt. heres a picture:
6f2e5d19b97023240cd202c3a1b5bd53.jpeg

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
If he’s not eating, a slurry with some liquid calcium mixed in or even your powdered calcium mixed in, get a small syringe and either get him to lick it off his nose or gently open his mouth and slowly squirt it in his mouth.

baldegale14

Juvenile Dragon
If he’s not eating, a slurry with some liquid calcium mixed in or even your powdered calcium mixed in, get a small syringe and either get him to lick it off his nose or gently open his mouth and slowly squirt it in his mouth.
where can you get liquid calcium? we tried it with the powder and he wouldnt take it and my mom (whos with him, out of state) was too scared to try and put it in his mouth

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I get liquid calcium from beardeddragon.co or bugdelite.com. They have flavored ones so that might help.

Christiaan

Bearded Dragon Egg
I Had a beardie that didnt eat veggies at all. I put everything in a blender, blend it up, sprinkle calcuim powder, and pull it up into a syringe. One with a little plastic pipe on. Just rub it softly over the side of the mouth, they will open their mouth, then just push it in, and slowly push the plunger, they will bite down on the plastic pipe and eat. A normal syringe seems to hurt them because they bite down on that hard plastic.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

AnandaTheDragon

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
I wonder if a bearded dragon that old could get a calcium deficiency in a matter of months. He doesn't look undernourished or dehydrated from the picture. How long has it been since he has been eating well? How old is he? Could he be brumating?

I think finding a herpetologist, if you are concerned, would be an excellent idea. I would do that as soon as possible.

My last bearded dragon (RIP Ananda), would go weeks barely eating anything during brumation. It was terrifying. But then he'd come out of it.

baldegale14

Juvenile Dragon
I wonder if a bearded dragon that old could get a calcium deficiency in a matter of months. He doesn't look undernourished or dehydrated from the picture. How long has it been since he has been eating well? How old is he? Could he be brumating?

I think finding a herpetologist, if you are concerned, would be an excellent idea. I would do that as soon as possible.

My last bearded dragon (RIP Ananda), would go weeks barely eating anything during brumation. It was terrifying. But then he'd come out of it.
he hasnt been eating his greens properly for about a month, but always ate his worms. the past couple days hes been eating 10 calcium covered worms, but only off tongs.

i completely forgot about brumation but i think thats out of question cause he just started doing a little better. hes about 3 years old

Bellasmamma

Hatchling Dragon
uvb is probably about 4-7 months old i cant remember. temps are around 85° on the cool side and 100-105° basking

Sounds like you lighting is right. Have you called his vet for a check up or asked questions that's your best bet.

baldegale14

Juvenile Dragon
Sounds like you lighting is right. Have you called his vet for a check up or asked questions that's your best bet.
he unfortunately doesnt have a vet and my parents dont have the money for a vet due to our cat that recently had to have a bunch of tests done and just passed sadly. was like $1k+ in vet bills

Honchess

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
they were/are feeding him daily, it was my fault because they watched me feed him all the time and i thought theyd know it was routine to give calcium, but clearly they didnt. heres a picture:
6f2e5d19b97023240cd202c3a1b5bd53.jpeg

Latest posts