• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Urgent! Chameleon experience needed.

Allthingsterrarium

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Hello there! I have a male Jackson's chameleon roughly 8 1/2 to 9 inches long and I've had him for about 6 months. Around the time that I got him I tried joining a chameleon forum but I wasn't able to use it at all because it required email activation and I never got the confirmation email despite repeated requests to resent it. Anyway, he is my first chameleon and I'm still quite new. He has become very sick literally overnight and he was an active, voracious eating, readily drinking picture of health just a few days ago and now his eyes are sunken in and he's extremely weak, especially his grip. He can barely hold onto a branch and isn't moving around much at all and is too weak to eat or drink. I know sunken eyes and lethargy are mostly a sign of dehydration and I've noticed he's been eating and drinking less than usual lately but I thought that was normal since it's winter and he just shed recently, besides, I feed every other day and his habitat is crawling with insects that I try hard to gut load and calcium dust. I mist the habitat heavily every few hours since my house is dry and he usually jumps at the chance to drink. I contacted the nearest veterinarian that deals with reptiles and I'm waiting on a response. I have fears it's already too late and doing anything is pointless. Besides, I can't really afford a vet visit that's too costly. Well, as I'm waiting on the response from the vet, is there anything I can do for him for the time being?

Allthingsterrarium

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Thank you everybody for reading this and considering. I'm afraid he's lost his fight and if he's not gone now which I have some slight doubts about because of slight movements, he will take his leave within the next few hours. If you can pray he goes peacefully. :( There is one nice thing about this. Just a few days ago my Mom and I got a wonderful picture of him and in this last picture he is just as healthy and lively as he was until this overnight sickness and I think it's the best picture of him I have. When I picked him up earlier he opened his eyes briefly and had a semi decent grip on my hand. It's like he was saying goodbye and shaking my hand for the good times these past 6 months.

R.I.P Cretaceous :(

Attachments

• excellent shot of Cretaceous.JPG
    excellent shot of Cretaceous.JPG
    24.1 KB · Views: 36

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Thank you everybody for reading this and considering. I'm afraid he's lost his fight and if he's not gone now which I have some slight doubts about because of slight movements, he will take his leave within the next few hours. If you can pray he goes peacefully. :( There is one nice thing about this. Just a few days ago my Mom and I got a wonderful picture of him and in this last picture he is just as healthy and lively as he was until this overnight sickness and I think it's the best picture of him I have. When I picked him up earlier he opened his eyes briefly and had a semi decent grip on my hand. It's like he was saying goodbye and shaking my hand for the good times these past 6 months.

R.I.P Cretaceous :(
Oh no :( soo sorry to hear this.. that's 1 thing I've heard about them they can go downhill fast..

Allthingsterrarium

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Oh no :( soo sorry to hear this.. that's 1 thing I've heard about them they can go downhill fast..

Yeah. Chameleons are so specialized that upkeep It seems to be a delicate balance. Well, due to me trying to feed him earlier today but not swallowing, he went out with a cricket in his mouth. The way any true dinosaur would want it, bringing prey with him.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
So sorry for your loss. I love chameleons but they can go downhill real quick for no reason whatsoever.

If you do ever get another one there is a great group of people on FB called Chameleon Central USA lot's of help there.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yeah. Chameleons are so specialized that upkeep It seems to be a delicate balance. Well, due to me trying to feed him earlier today but not swallowing, he went out with a cricket in his mouth. The way any true dinosaur would want it, bringing prey with him.
Awe :( he went knowing and feeling cared for ..

Allthingsterrarium

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
So sorry for your loss. I love chameleons but they can go downhill real quick for no reason whatsoever.

If you do ever get another one there is a great group of people on FB called Chameleon Central USA lot's of help there.

Wow thanks! Good to know! I'll always love the prehistoric looking Jackson's chameleon but I might get a colorful panther chameleon next and that will be a great help!

BeardedDragon65

Juvenile Dragon
Thats very odd. I had the same problem with chameleon forums by the way. When my cham stopped eating I got frantic and bought him a massive glass cage to keep the humidity up (which was NOT cheap, especially for a moments notice). That seemed to do the trick. I'm very sorry for your loss, sucks to loose a reptile, but you have to be prepared when it comes to chameleons.

Allthingsterrarium

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Thats very odd. I had the same problem with chameleon forums by the way. When my cham stopped eating I got frantic and bought him a massive glass cage to keep the humidity up (which was NOT cheap, especially for a moments notice). That seemed to do the trick. I'm very sorry for your loss, sucks to loose a reptile, but you have to be prepared when it comes to chameleons.

Yeah I know right? If I blame anything it's my monsoon system that was supposed to keep humidity high and simulate raindrops on the leaves. The stupid thing worked very well for a few weeks and then even though I had it set to mist the habitat for a duration of 2 minutes at intervals of every two hours it misted all the time! Constantly! And it sucked water like a Hummer sucks petrol so I turned I stopped using it all together and just used a spray bottle which worked well for months but eventually just couldn't keep up I guess.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
That's interesting. I've heard so many bad things about the Moonsoon. We've had ours for almost a year now and had no problems. Someone else on FB said they didn't have any problems either and they do the same things that I do with it. I don't fill it up all the way, in fact we fill it up less than half way and we don't use the pour hole to fill it, we take the whole top off. I don't know if filling it through the hole maybe gets some electrics wet or something. Ours is set to go off for about 30 seconds every 2 hours for 12 hours.

Allthingsterrarium

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
That's interesting. I've heard so many bad things about the Moonsoon. We've had ours for almost a year now and had no problems. Someone else on FB said they didn't have any problems either and they do the same things that I do with it. I don't fill it up all the way, in fact we fill it up less than half way and we don't use the pour hole to fill it, we take the whole top off. I don't know if filling it through the hole maybe gets some electrics wet or something. Ours is set to go off for about 30 seconds every 2 hours for 12 hours.

That's probably a good idea. Too much water might confuse the thing.

Latest posts