• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Updates & Brumation

staylor

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Once again don't know if it is fact but it sounds to me like they are ready to sleep.

beardie_love

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
staylor said:
Once again don't know if it is fact but it sounds to me like they are ready to sleep.

I believe it.
They stay in the same place on the cool side all day and sleep.

But I'm scared to shut them down when they have not pooped for that long!

staylor

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I was too but I worried if I waited too long I would put too much stress on her. Here is are my thoughts (not scientific just what makes sense in my head) as to why no poop, someone tell me if I am right or wrong.

In preparation for brumation, their GI system slows and they keep some food for when they wake up so that if they can not find food right away they have some nutrition stored until they can find some.

Craiger

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Not sure about what Sandra stated as I always thought anything left in the system could eventually "gut rot" if not expelled.

Mel,

Here's what I did last night to get Sam to go for that one last BM before letting her start shutting down. I've used this several times before with success. Put them in a warm bath and massage the sides of their underbelly lightly back toward their vent. I believe it's actually supposed to be one side, but I can never remember which one, so I massage both. It should stimulate them to go....at least that's what I've been told. Took a little while, but it worked. I just basically try to keep the water warm and massage. Take a little break. Massage again. Take a little break. Massage again. I kept this up 'til she went.

beardie_love

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Craig, everytime I give them a bath, I do massage their bellies! I do it for a few minutes, then wait. I've done that to Charlie in the past, and yes indeed it worked. Perhaps I just need to spend more time massaging?

Craiger

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
beardie_love said:
Craig, everytime I give them a bath, I do massage their bellies! I do it for a few minutes, then wait. I've done that to Charlie in the past, and yes indeed it worked. Perhaps I just need to spend more time massaging?

Yeah, I think so. I almost gave up the other night, too, but glad I didn't as she eventually went. Are you sure they haven't gone since they last ate?

beardie_love

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Craiger said:
Are you sure they haven't gone since they last ate?

Yup. I remember the last time I cleaned up poop (other than Baby's last week), which was a few weeks ago, sometime around when I moved in here.

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
That last statement, in two weeks since you moved... I'd suggest that not only the season is possibly upon them, but relocation stress could very well factor in here.
Just out of curiosity... how deep is the bath water you use ? When I want some poops, I tend to increase the depth so mine have to swim or move around more vigorously. Perhaps that might be an idea..
Hope this helps.

Craiger

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
zebraflavencs said:
Just out of curiosity... how deep is the bath water you use ? When I want some poops, I tend to increase the depth so mine have to swim or move around more vigorously. Perhaps that might be an idea..
Hope this helps.

Good point! I do that, too....just forgot. I also tend to lightly lift the tub over and over to create movement of the water. When the water is moving, the dragon is moving. You just got to be careful...especially when they're young.

staylor

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
would giving the pumpkin as a laxative be too extreme to make them poop at this point?

Craiger

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
staylor said:
would giving the pumpkin as a laxative be too extreme to make them poop at this point?

Depends. If it helps the dragon(s) to go to the bathroom in the next couple of days, perhaps not. Otherwise, Mel might worry more and continue trying to get them to go....which could create even more stress when they're trying to go down. I gave Sam and Frodo some pumpkin last week the night before taking them to the vet in hopes they'd both go prior to the visit. When they didn't produce in the morning, I offered each of them an olive oil covered super. Of course, Frodo went as soon as I got "home" from the vet. *rolls eyes* I immediately took the sample over to another local hospital we use for our cats. They ran the fecal for me (as the exotic vet is an hour away). Sam produced in the bath three days later. Both are good to go....and I'm a happy pappy.

Quite honestly, though, I'd feel more comfortable if somebody much more experienced than I would chime in on this....as I'm never sure if what I do is "recommended" or not. Just seems to work for me.

beardie_love

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
zebraflavencs said:
That last statement, in two weeks since you moved... I'd suggest that not only the season is possibly upon them, but relocation stress could very well factor in here.

But it's been so long ???. My dragons have been here longer than I have (over a month now), sooo..... Plus they never took relocation stress as bad. They usually bounced back within a few days or so.

zebraflavencs said:

I usually have it about up to their shoulder. As you said, deeper water makes them move around more. That's what mine do too.

staylor

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
the no poop is over my head too. really can't help on this sorry

Latest posts