• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Update on Wally

mxw0rld

Bearded Dragon Veteran
As many of you might know Wally has had quite a bit of trouble these past 3 weeks with his stomach. Well… today he passed this red mucus plug type thing attached to his urate. Vet had me being him in immediately.

Wally has a slight impaction. He got a shot of anti inflammatory medicine and has been put on critical care powder with a mild laxative. If he doesn't pass this tootsie roll size impaction by Friday then he quite possibly may have to have surgery!

My warning to everyone here is when you buy your roaches from someone new please make sure you ask them what they feed them. This all started from the dog food fed dubia's.

Wally is still taking the antacid. This has been the most eye awakening month I have ever had. Not to mention I'm an on a first name basis with my vet! Lol and my vet does let me make payments!! Thank goodness!!

Still parasite free! But please everyone keep Wally in your thoughts and prayers. Will have update by Friday! Thank you!

b154b6fd751f331ff86a5289ac895d5d.jpg

56d4ceafb9e020ccabd5ba5ba849fe29.jpg

Eavlynn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Poor Wally! I'll be sending all the positive thoughts his way that I can! Who ever would have thought that what is fed to our roaches could have such a detrimental impact on our babies?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Maddie

Juvenile Dragon
Wishing Wally a fast recovery. Spyra needs her man back to full health lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Candybugs

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
So glad you shared this I was told ground up cat food was ok for crickets and I hv done it a few times.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I hope that Wally has a full recovery!
It's super important to feed our critters feeders the same things as you would feed your critter..Good way of thinking is can my beardie eat this item? if not then don't feed that item to your feeders.. It's known that dubia have very long gi tracts making them awesome feeders as they hold the nutrients in them longer, so the chances of passing those good nutrients onto our scaly friends is greater..
Hope all goes well and he passes things smoothly.

RaeAnn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
So sorry to hear this :( I knew he was having a little trouble but had no idea it was this bad. I will keep him in my thoughts and prayers. Wally is a tough boy I'm sure he will pass everything and be just fine *fingers crossed*

mxw0rld

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Thanks to everyone who has Wally in their thoughts. If he passes this today we should be in the clear otherwise we are back to the vet in the morning tomorrow.

He had a good night, slept through the night.
Time to give him his morning dose of critical care laxative slurry.

Thanks again Eavlynn, BPz27, Maddie, Candybugs, Hdrydr31, and RaeAnn it means a lot to us that you are thinking about Wally in his time of need.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Poor Wally :( He's still impacted even after passing that massive pile of poop? Has the vet done a blood test? I hope he passes whatever it is he has left in him.

My friend who is a nurse and so she is a science geek sent me this interesting article on roaches. Apparently the biggest concern with roaches is the build up of uric acid in their body from the proteins they've been fed. Uric acid then because a problem with our reptiles and causes kidney problems and even gout. I thought it was very cool to read they only eat what the need to eat.

"Dubia roaches do a very good job of eating foods with the nutrients they need when they need them and avoiding the ones they don’t. Young Dubia roach nymphs eat poop – presumably because it is very high in nitrogen and contains the cellulose-digesting and protein-producing bacteria that colonize their guts and allow them to survive. Females will eat high protein in anticipation of developing young, and then feed heavily on carbohydrates when their biology demands it. Males prefer fruits, vegetables, and other carbs during reproduction but high protein during development. Nymphs will eat more protein at the beginning of their instar then gradually increase their carbohydrate intake until their next molt, at which time they switch back to protein.

The truth is that Dubia roach dietary strategies are probably much more complex than this, every insect has the ability to select foods based on need, and all we need to do is make sure they have access to nutrients.

This is quite an efficient system. Given other options, cockroaches won’t eat so much protein that it compromises their health. And this is key in our excess protein/uric acid issue. Given the chance, Dubia roaches will eat what they need. They go for what is best for them in the moment and they leave the rest behind. They won’t eat themselves to death with too much protein if they have access to food without high protein. Pretty simple."

mxw0rld

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Poor Wally :( He's still impacted even after passing that massive pile of poop? Has the vet done a blood test? I hope he passes whatever it is he has left in him.

My friend who is a nurse and so she is a science geek sent me this interesting article on roaches. Apparently the biggest concern with roaches is the build up of uric acid in their body from the proteins they've been fed. Uric acid then because a problem with our reptiles and causes kidney problems and even gout. I thought it was very cool to read they only eat what the need to eat.

"Dubia roaches do a very good job of eating foods with the nutrients they need when they need them and avoiding the ones they don’t. Young Dubia roach nymphs eat poop – presumably because it is very high in nitrogen and contains the cellulose-digesting and protein-producing bacteria that colonize their guts and allow them to survive. Females will eat high protein in anticipation of developing young, and then feed heavily on carbohydrates when their biology demands it. Males prefer fruits, vegetables, and other carbs during reproduction but high protein during development. Nymphs will eat more protein at the beginning of their instar then gradually increase their carbohydrate intake until their next molt, at which time they switch back to protein.

The truth is that Dubia roach dietary strategies are probably much more complex than this, every insect has the ability to select foods based on need, and all we need to do is make sure they have access to nutrients.

This is quite an efficient system. Given other options, cockroaches won’t eat so much protein that it compromises their health. And this is key in our excess protein/uric acid issue. Given the chance, Dubia roaches will eat what they need. They go for what is best for them in the moment and they leave the rest behind. They won’t eat themselves to death with too much protein if they have access to food without high protein. Pretty simple."

PatsyB thank you for sharing that. I am going to copy that and keep it so I can show hubby. I think that new lady Theresa only fed them the high protein dog food so in that case those roaches didn't have anything else to eat. My mistake for not asking first. This has been a costly mistake that I will never again go through. It's costing Wally his life! I don't think people fully understand how to take care of the roaches. She only had one tub with all sizes in it. It was a mess and stunk BAD! I hate myself for even buying them. But I'm moving past that now and dealing with this issue.

Yes he did do blood test, I forgot to mention that. We have to take Wally back in tomorrow (Friday) so he can do another x-ray and get the blood test results. Fecal was negative.

Thank you PatsyB, I appreciate your kind words and thoughts for Wally.

mxw0rld

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Wally update!!

Just saw doctor and he still has a slight impaction, it has moved down the intestine track. Doctor is happy with the progression of the move. We are back to the vet on Sunday for the next check in.

He slept through the night just fine. Been giving him warm soaks, giving him the medicine from the vet and also letting him lay on the heating pad with a blanket on top of it. But only with me sitting right next to him. I do not ever leave him alone, except for when he is locked up in his enclosure. Lol

Fyi - I just finished paying the vet my last payment! So I'm caught up until next week! Lol

Here is how he slept!
d0ce6ff5d934162a064159875cf8e01b.jpg

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Awe, glad it's slowly moving along. Will he eat baby food prunes? I gave Dolly just a little bit of that when she was impacted and it seemed to help things along. I know baby food is not the best but in this situation, we kinda have do to what we have to do.

mxw0rld

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Awe, glad it's slowly moving along. Will he eat baby food prunes? I gave Dolly just a little bit of that when she was impacted and it seemed to help things along. I know baby food is not the best but in this situation, we kinda have do to what we have to do.

Thank you PatsyB, I will go get some baby food prunes and like you said we have to do these things once in awhile. I will only use a tiny bit.

I appreciate all your help and advice. I will have an update after we see the vet on Sunday.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Pumpkin 100% real worked with Izzy to get things moving. How are things?

RaeAnn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
I know she's had such a heavy load lately [emoji26]
So glad Wally is doing better. Thanks for informing us Eavlynn

Eavlynn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Absolutely! I'm sure she'd be giving you all the good news if things weren't so crazy.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Latest posts