• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

*update* on My Dragon - Rocky

NaTasha Brinkley

Juvenile Dragon
Well, I haven't been on the forum in a while. I've been a little busy trying to build up my inventory of hand made thingy ma bobs. Anywho, just wanted to update you on Rocky. He is almost 5 months old and he's growing fast! He is now at 13 inches and is currently in a shed. He's eating all of his greens; I gave him A LOT today thinking there would be some left over and he ate them ALL within a couple of hours... AND he's still a pig with his crickets. I started giving him larger crickets (1/2 inch) now that he is bigger. He still eats 40 to 50 a day. I seriously don't know where he puts them all. Right now I'm on the look out for the 'dollar a gallon' sale at petco or where ever they have it. He's due for a 40 gal breeder or a larger home made one if I can find the materials for cheap. When can I start giving him adult size crickets? Right now I feel like they are still a little too big for him, might wait until he is full grown or close to it. Well, back to crafting!

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
IMHO - A 13" BD should have no trouble at all with large crickets. The general rule of thumb, is nothing bigger than the space between the eyes & a good guide it is. But that is what it is, a guide & it leaves a lot to interpretation. Now the question arises, are they talking width or length, if they are talking length, then there are very few worms that we could 'Safely' feed according to the common rule of thumb. I have always considered the width or narrower dimension of the feeder, as the determining factor & have never had issues in all the years of caring for these guys. Vasuki is not 3 months yet, 13" or so & has for a long time been eating fat gutloaded roaches as wide as the width between his eyes, as all of the others have been, making his feeders much larger than a large cricket, without issue. A BD does not have to be able to swallow whole, it is okay if it has to chomp it a bit & move it to a position to swallow.

Just my experience, $.02 on the subject & what I do.

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Sounds great Natasha! It sounds like Rocky is happy and healthy! Thanks for the update - but where are the pics?! :) ;)

NaTasha Brinkley

Juvenile Dragon
Thanks guys... I just have to say that I was really disappointed with my local pet store today. When I told the guy I was still apprehensive about feeding adult size crickets he proceeded to tell me that the little itty bitty beardies, like 3 inches tiny, could eat adult sized crickets. I'm like, 'their twice the size of the lizards head!'. Then when I commented on how it looks like they sold a lot of the babies he said, 'yeah if you say so'... so I'm like, 'what, did they die?'. The answer was yes and his excuse was that they were far too small to start selling, which I agree with, and that there wasn't anyone at the store after 8 pm to care for them and so they weren't getting enough light and uv. It made me sad, I wish I had the money and space to scoop up those last 3 little guys and take care of them. AND the guy shook his head at me when I told him I was a member of a forum, saying that you can't take anything pple say to heart b/c everyone has differing opinions. Which is true, but I totally trust you guys when it comes to advice. Anywho, that's my rant.. Good day!

Chris Baez Jr.

Juvenile Dragon
AND the guy shook his head at me when I told him I was a member of a forum, saying that you can't take anything pple say to heart b/c everyone has differing opinions.

A lot of local pet stores employ people who are "I just work here" types. That's why we need this forum. I also belong to a couple of fish forums, because I also keep tropical fish. The problem is that when you try to educate some pet store employees a little about the husbandry of lizards or fish, or whatever the pet in question maybe, they brush you off with that "I know it all" attitude. Some are really receptive though.

Chances are that you know more about the price of eggs in China, then that guy knows about his job.

Noella

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
And some are like, "Yeah, yeah, yeah. I'll do it." I sneaked over and asked to open the baby bearded dragon tank they had so that I could 'pet them'. They were on display at the time. SO they let me open it. I ended up taking out their food dish which didn't have fresh. And their water bowl. :) I handed it to the sales clerk and say, "Would you kindly change this and give fresh water?" The sales clerk said, "Yuck. I wouldn't eat this." "Neither would they." I say. I'm sure the babies were happy to know that someone else looks after them.

Chris Baez Jr.

Juvenile Dragon
And some are like, "Yeah, yeah, yeah. I'll do it." I sneaked over and asked to open the baby bearded dragon tank they had so that I could 'pet them'. They were on display at the time. SO they let me open it. I ended up taking out their food dish which didn't have fresh. And their water bowl. :) I handed it to the sales clerk and say, "Would you kindly change this and give fresh water?" The sales clerk said, "Yuck. I wouldn't eat this." "Neither would they." I say. I'm sure the babies were happy to know that someone else looks after them.

You go girl... :)

Noella

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
:) You want a healthy beardie, do what I do. :) Love, proper feast of greens, healthy dose of vitamins, calcium, UVB, and care. :) Oh yeah, heating too. :)

Latest posts