• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

So what's happening to his tail? Any ideas?

• It is early onset tail rot

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • He is losing circulation to his tail

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

FriezaSama

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi All, I just wanted to give everyone an update on Ember's tail. Earlier I posted a thread asking if Ember had tail rot or it was just pre-shed. Turns out it was just a shed, but I did notice one thing. The patterns are noticeably different than the rest of her tail. He now has a different sort of darker shade of orange and the stripes are now a chocolatey brown. He was given a course of antibiotics (he has finished them) to protect him from any bacterial infections that may affect his blood vessels in his extremities i..e his tail. The doctor said that in the winter their immune systems are down and can they are more likely to develop any infections and their toes and tails are the ones at most risk. I have also been doing a pinch test on the tail to see if he has sensation. He does react to it but recently after he shed his tail he does not seem to react as much, especially near the tip. I think he just got used to it, I am hoping he is not losing circulation there. I think he does have a few stuck scales that need to come off but I don't want to pluck them off, I am just going to soak him and hope it comes off. I soak him about 3 times a week in warm water. Also he does darken his tail when he is upset or annoyed (one of the pictures I post shows the tail being a bit more dark, its because he just had a soak and he hates water). When he is more relaxed, the color difference is less noticeable but when he darkens up to soak in more heat it becomes more noticeable. Also the scales underneath his tail are white but in the area of question its a little bit more orange, but still mostly white. My biggest fear is that he is slowly losing circulation to the rest of his tail. I don't want to have to amputate it. I want to him to keep his tail. He seems fine otherwise. He started to be picky with his dubia roaches. He doesn't always eat all of them and but he loves his superworms. So he hasn't been eating as much (Im also trying to get him to eat his dubias, when I went out of town my dad fed him a lot of superworms because he liked the sound he made as he killed and ate them). Normally I give him 8 large dubias a day and greens offered everyday. He is 8months now. Yesterday he ate just 3 out of 8 and the day before just 1 out of 8. However on Monday he ate 5 Dubias and 4 Superworms. I think this is because of the cold weather, but if he still refuses food I would probably have some bloodwork down to see how he is doing. Also he finished his course of antibiotics on 01/04/2020 and he the discoloration has not progressed upwards.

Attachments

• image2.jpeg
    image2.jpeg
    881.8 KB · Views: 21
  • image3.jpeg
    image3.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 22
  • image4.jpeg
    image4.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 22
  • image5.jpeg
    image5.jpeg