• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Unwell Dragon

Jane Thoburn

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I bought this dragon yesterday from a person that has quite a few dragons. She is a leatherback. She seemed fine in the tank when i went to see her although a little under weight. She is about 12mths old and since ive got her home she doesnt want to eat and just seems to lay on her log sleeping. Her tank is 82 which is what my other beardies are kept at. Maybe its just stress of being moved to a new home, anyone any idea's??

jynx stephens

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
it could be stress, the temp might not be high enough for it, or possibly the size of the tank. to most beardies when moved to a new home they need about 3 days to a week to ajust to their new surroundings without disturbance and all mine didnt eat till were fully ajusted then they ate just fine. one of mine tho may have had trust issues because of his previous owner was very...forgetful when it came to feeding him and hardly ever socialized with him at all. so i waited about a week and a half then i gave him some baby food via suringe for a few days and he started eatting normally not long after that but i also did my best to show him im not a threat to him.

P

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Hi,

There are many reasons why your beardie may not have an appetite
First and foremost would be possible relo stress

Temps and UVB are also vital in their well being, it aids digestion , nutrient absorption and metabolic processes within their bodies and will affect their energy levels and appetites if not spot on.

Since yours is approx 12 months thus being a sub adult dragon temps need to be as follows
Basking temp: 95-100
Cool side: 80-85

Also how do you measure the temps and how old is your UVB and what brand is it?

The beardie may also have parasites, it is always recommended to have a faecal done when getting a new beardie to rule this out.

Jane Thoburn

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Hi,

Hi

I have taken my leatherback to the vet and had a poo sample taken and told she has parasites which she has now been
treated for. He also gave me powder to bath her in. I have had her since 11th December and she still is not eating by herself
i am having to force feed her wax worms which i know isnt good but i dont want her to become more unwell than what she
is. The vet i took her to said she has no infections. Im really lost with this dragon now, i have 4 others and none of them have
been like this. Her tank is 100 c and 85 at the cool end. Does anybody have any ideas that may help with feeding???

Jane

There are many reasons why your beardie may not have an appetite
First and foremost would be possible relo stress

Temps and UVB are also vital in their well being, it aids digestion , nutrient absorption and metabolic processes within their bodies and will affect their energy levels and appetites if not spot on.

Since yours is approx 12 months thus being a sub adult dragon temps need to be as follows
Basking temp: 95-100
Cool side: 80-85

Also how do you measure the temps and how old is your UVB and what brand is it?

The beardie may also have parasites, it is always recommended to have a faecal done when getting a new beardie to rule this out.

Latest posts