• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

uh oh....someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed.

Jaime

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
babydracosmadjan12.jpg

My baby is about 6 months old...hes not handled out of the tank and I dont pick him up, he doesnt seem ready for that because he spazzes out, but I do generally pat him on his back, his head, tail et and hes normally fine with it. I also help him hunt crickets...so basically hes quite used to my hands. Today however he was acting very afraid..puffing up a lot even when I was helping him hunt crickets. Normally I feed at night but today I fed him in the AM because I missed last nights feeding and his feeding schedules been off a tad since I got sick last week. He wsnt only puffing at me but my mother as well, I was thinking it may have something to do with us wearing black so I changed but th puffing continues. I didnt touch him but I stayed put because I was thinking he should back down first and realize i wasnt going to hurt him...didnt work, we had a stare down for a good 15 minutes until I had to leave his area because i had other things to do..anywho...should I have stayed or just let it be and move on with the attitude that maybe tomorrow will be a diferent story? Do they get hormonal at this age? (im not sure if its a he or a she)...even tho I stayed at the tank I talked to him and moved the same around him. Any thoughts?

Strawberry

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Bearded dragons go through a dragon puberty until they are around 1-2 years old then they calm down. Be patient, he will grow up.

drgnfly2265

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
If you don't normally hold your beardie then the spazzing will be normal. If you keep waiting then it will get tougher as he gets older. Pick him up while he is in the tank. Try to "scoop" him up from underneath instead of from overhead (that can seem like a bird or other danger trying to get them). Sometimes beardies that are used to being held still wiggle and squirm the first seconds. Just show no fear and pick him up for a couple of minutes a day and he will get used to it fast.

jynx stephens

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
i have been holding and working with my new little female amy since i got her at 6 weeks old. she is almost 16 weeks old now and she still spazzes out like jamie's dragon does. i have been working with her more the past 2 weeks and she has improved a tiny bite but she still bites me when i am changing her food or i am holding her and she wants to make a run for it. i think of it as they are going threw a dragons version of "the terrible two's" (only younger obviously lol) with time they should mello out just dont give up. get more persistant with the little one. and dont back down;)

Jaime

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Thanks everyone, thanks Jynx...thats exactly what my little guy does lol! funny, youd think they would just realize we arent going to hurt them after all that time lol.

jynx stephens

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
i know right. but at the same time i think of it from the babies point of view. i would be a little freaked out by a giant hand in my pen coming from above at first too lol

Latest posts