• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Two things I’m worried about

Parker S

Bearded Dragon Egg
So the first thing is that my bearded dragon is growing sooooo slow. And I think it has to do with his diet. Most days I have to force feed him greens and everything but as soon as I put him near crickets he’ll eat them so fast. I do all of the supplements that he needs in just worried about I and idk what to do to get him eating.

Edit: he is still in a 40 gallon breaded and is approaching one year and is only a foot long

2. I will set him by the window(where I am it’s 90-100 degrees everyday right now) and he will just sit there for as long as I let him
But he will get a black beard i just don’t know what I should do about either of these problems.

Please help

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
So the first thing is that my bearded dragon is growing sooooo slow. And I think it has to do with his diet. Most days I have to force feed him greens and everything but as soon as I put him near crickets he’ll eat them so fast. I do all of the supplements that he needs in just worried about I and idk what to do to get him eating.

Edit: he is still in a 40 gallon breaded and is approaching one year and is only a foot long

2. I will set him by the window(where I am it’s 90-100 degrees everyday right now) and he will just sit there for as long as I let him
But he will get a black beard i just don’t know what I should do about either of these problems.

Please help
Ok so dragons grow at their own rate depending on genetics - he may end up having a growth spurt that is not unusual----------- but we need to go over the lighting UVB please NO coils of any kind--- you want a long tube fixture like a Zoo Med or a Arcadia Pro T 5 w/a 12% bulb --- next basking temps what are they are how are you taking them? Please NO stickon ons they are inaccurate and you want surface basking temps taken w/ a digital probe thermometer - they should be 95-100 surface---- these things along w/ diet play all the roles in a healthy dragon - if any of this stuff is off it can detour the growth and the over all health of the dragon along w/ behavior ---
your basking bulb needs to be a solid clear bright white bulb examples of those are Flukers Zoo Med Repti basking - Arcadia Halogen or Exo Terra Intense --- please no colored or off white or yellowish bulbs or Daytime bulbs they have a coating on them that is harmful to the dragons eyes

Parker S

Bearded Dragon Egg
Ok so dragons grow at their own rate depending on genetics - he may end up having a growth spurt that is not unusual----------- but we need to go over the lighting UVB please NO coils of any kind--- you want a long tube fixture like a Zoo Med or a Arcadia Pro T 5 w/a 12% bulb --- next basking temps what are they are how are you taking them? Please NO stickon ons they are inaccurate and you want surface basking temps taken w/ a digital probe thermometer - they should be 95-100 surface---- these things along w/ diet play all the roles in a healthy dragon - if any of this stuff is off it can detour the growth and the over all health of the dragon along w/ behavior ---
your basking bulb needs to be a solid clear bright white bulb examples of those are Flukers Zoo Med Repti basking - Arcadia Halogen or Exo Terra Intense --- please no colored or off white or yellowish bulbs or Daytime bulbs they have a coating on them that is harmful to the dragons eyes
I’m looking into ordering a t5 uvb light do you know of any that are $75 or lower?

I have a 18” t8 10.0 tube light from
Zoo med but I also have a coil uvb light in addition to the tube light should I take that out?

Basking temps are 97 degrees I used a normal laser temperature thermometer.

https://www.petsmart.com/reptile/en...oo-med-reptile-basking-spot-lamp-1851477.html that is the link to the heat bulb that I use I get the 100w version.

Parker S

Bearded Dragon Egg
I’m looking into ordering a t5 uvb light do you know of any that are $75 or lower?

I have a 18” t8 10.0 tube light from
Zoo med but I also have a coil uvb light in addition to the tube light should I take that out?

Basking temps are 97 degrees I used a normal laser temperature thermometer.

https://www.petsmart.com/reptile/en...oo-med-reptile-basking-spot-lamp-1851477.html that is the link to the heat bulb that I use I get the 100w version.
I just really want him to grow I will do anything for him to be able to be healthy

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I just really want him to grow I will do anything for him to be able to be healthy
Your T 8 is fine but upgrading to the T 5 is best - for now is the T 8 in the tank ? It needs to be or unobstructed they are not strong enough to go thru screen - distance should be 6-8 inches directly over the basking decor piece - please take the coil out --- its useless --- your basking bulb is good -- here is a link for a UVB fixture you will need to order the 22" Reptisun 10.0 T 5 bulb this fixture will come w/ a 5.0 which is equivalent to your T 8 now - the T 5 is more for reptiles
24" https://www.pangeareptile.com/collections/fixtures/products/zoo-med-reptisun-t5-hood
https://www.pangeareptile.com/colle...y-vapor/products/zoo-med-reptisun-10-0-uvb-t5 shipping is like $7--
when you get the UVB let me know it has options of where it can sit depending on your screen on your tank - please get 2 digital probe thermometers - they are the most accurate -- IR guns are good but they cannot read off of certain material like hammocks example

Latest posts