• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

TW Palliative care

Nina Rose

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi all,

Bentley is now around 13 years old and the topic of his age has been regularly discussed with his vet. As expected, he has slowed down over the years but we’ve now started noticing the signs the vets had told us about that he is reaching the end of his life.

I wondered if anyone else had been through this and had any advice on making sure he’s still as comfortable and content as he can be - the vets could obviously assist with passing away but I would rather he stays in familiar surroundings with his favourite things if possible

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hi all,

Bentley is now around 13 years old and the topic of his age has been regularly discussed with his vet. As expected, he has slowed down over the years but we’ve now started noticing the signs the vets had told us about that he is reaching the end of his life.

I wondered if anyone else had been through this and had any advice on making sure he’s still as comfortable and content as he can be - the vets could obviously assist with passing away but I would rather he stays in familiar surroundings with his favourite things if possible
I agree let him be at home unless its absolutely necessary that hes at the vets office -- I have had 2 dragons pass but they were not that of age and one was very malnourished and her organs gave out - the other one was a I dont know why passing -- I can ask some others that have had more experience w / this and see what they say

Nina Rose

Bearded Dragon Egg
I agree let him be at home unless its absolutely necessary that hes at the vets office -- I have had 2 dragons pass but they were not that of age and one was very malnourished and her organs gave out - the other one was a I dont know why passing -- I can ask some others that have had more experience w / this and see what they say
Thanks! It’s so hard to know if you’re doing the right thing sometimes, I just want to be able to keep him as comfortable as he can be for the time he has left

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Thanks! It’s so hard to know if you’re doing the right thing sometimes, I just want to be able to keep him as comfortable as he can be for the time he has left
I heard back from a vet tech that I reached out to and this is what she had to say
I agree, if at all possible, especially for an older dragon, it is more comfortable & less stressful
for them to be at home in their own surroundings. It can be stressful & overwhelming for them
to be at a vet's office, alone without you if they are ill or to be put down. He may find it more
comforting to be with you.

Nina Rose

Bearded Dragon Egg
I heard back from a vet tech that I reached out to and this is what she had to say
I agree, if at all possible, especially for an older dragon, it is more comfortable & less stressful
for them to be at home in their own surroundings. It can be stressful & overwhelming for them
to be at a vet's office, alone without you if they are ill or to be put down. He may find it more
Thank you so much! The vets gave me a food substitute without going in just to help him get some nourishment and hydration that isn’t a lot of effort for him to eat or digest, hopefully that’ll help keep him a little happier for however long he has left. This is pretty much what we were expecting at this stage but it’s hard to know you’re doing the right thing when the time comes

Nina Rose

Bearded Dragon Egg
Thanks so much for your advice. Bentley passed away yesterday at home. It was the hottest day ever recorded here so he got to spend time out on the lawn and then passed away asleep on his favorite hide.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Thanks so much for your advice. Bentley passed away yesterday at home. It was the hottest day ever recorded here so he got to spend time out on the lawn and then passed away asleep on his favorite hide.
Awwwwwwww I am so sorry --- It is so hard to loose them but at least he had a good long life -- most dragons dont get that option and end up dying at a very young age --

Mummabeardy

Juvenile Dragon
Thank you so much! The vets gave me a food substitute without going in just to help him get some nourishment and hydration that isn’t a lot of effort for him to eat or digest, hopefully that’ll help keep him a little happier for however long he has left. This is pretty much what we were expecting at this stage but it’s hard to know you’re doing the right thing when the time comes
Awww..Bentley..love the name! 13 is a long time..your a good dragon momma clearly!! Do you have pics of him?? Have you had him since he was a baby? Im sure just being his mom everyday is comfortable enough. Does he have a favorite blanket or anything? You can always cuddle him as much as possible in the last few days. I'm sure he would be content-and might even pass in your arms. Best of luck to you both!! ❤

Nina Rose

Bearded Dragon Egg
Awww..Bentley..love the name! 13 is a long time..your a good dragon momma clearly!! Do you have pics of him?? Have you had him since he was a baby? Im sure just being his mom everyday is comfortable enough. Does he have a favorite blanket or anything? You can always cuddle him as much as possible in the last few days. I'm sure he would be content-and might even pass in your arms. Best of luck to you both!! ❤
I got him at 1 1/2 years old and he passed away 18 July; on the hottest day ever recorded here after spending the day sat in the grass, I popped him back in his favourite spot in his viv and he passed away peacefully.

Attachments

• CFB06389-7DF3-4951-8EA2-F73D94BF50B8.jpeg
    CFB06389-7DF3-4951-8EA2-F73D94BF50B8.jpeg
    774.8 KB · Views: 7
  • 010BE7EA-E69F-4223-BE05-E468BEDA9C46.jpeg
    010BE7EA-E69F-4223-BE05-E468BEDA9C46.jpeg
    96.9 KB · Views: 6
  • F155E4D2-581C-4324-AEA1-72381C72A080.jpeg
    F155E4D2-581C-4324-AEA1-72381C72A080.jpeg
    136.2 KB · Views: 5
  • ED7B7E34-B9F3-40F9-82F7-0AE215D34122.jpeg
    ED7B7E34-B9F3-40F9-82F7-0AE215D34122.jpeg
    157.5 KB · Views: 6

Mummabeardy

Juvenile Dragon
I got him at 1 1/2 years old and he passed away 18 July; on the hottest day ever recorded here after spending the day sat in the grass, I popped him back in his favourite spot in his viv and he passed away peacefully.
Ohhh..RIP Bentley. What a long beautiful life he lived! God bless him. And I'm sorry for your loss. But just remember he is always with you! ❤

Mummabeardy

Juvenile Dragon
What a handsome boy he was too!! Lol