• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

turning dark all over

Dwaggie

Bearded Dragon Egg
hey all :)

i'm a little worried about my beardie
(and starting a new post, since this is a different thing than the last)
so...
lately, my girl (5 years) is turning dark a lot.
often when she's in her tank, she'll turn very dark, though her beard doesn't puff or get /really/ black.
i added some photos so you can (hopefully) see what i mean
is that stress?
she does get a pattern on her stomach (usually, it's very light and even)
she has a UVbulb and a ceramic heat bulb, so light and heat should be doing okay.

i was at the vet about a week ago, and she's currently being treated for worms (she's through the first round, second round of meds will start on tuesday) she's already gotten a lot more active and her poop is back to normal

she is in the last throes of shedding (only the last third of her tail hasn't shed, and a few bits on one of her front feet)
hum... the tip of her tail (about 1 cm) has died, and will be taken off by the vet in two or three weeks (he said it's nothing to worry about and won't give her much trouble healing when it's been cut off)

in general, she doesn't seem to be in any pain from her tail
i can touch the tip without her even batting an eye, unlike if i try (gently!) rubbing at the to-be-shed scales, so i don't think that would be stressing her a lot.
her worms, the vet said, she must've had even before i got her (three months ago) so... that shouldn't be the issue either...

meh ._.
i'm not sure if that's just a thing she does, to enjoy the light, or get more of it, or if i need to worry.
i'll be going back to the vet in a week anyway, to check on her worminess, but until then, i'm wondering if someone could tell me if her color change is something to worry about.

again, she just turns reaaaally dark all over.
though, when i take her out for a cuddle, she usually becomes lighter pretty quickly.
i'm not sure if that's due to the change of environment, or if she's actually enjoying me picking her up to be with her.
i do it mostly for my own enjoyment, and with the knowledge she doesn't mind me messing with her (else i'd expect her to try and get away from me) but i'm not sure if her turning dark is a sign she might want/need some contact.

mh... any opinions?
any husbandry points you'd need to know?
temps go from 45°C at her basking spot to about 18-20°C in the corners (room temp)
humidity usually is around 30-40%
i bathe her once or twice a week. i've gotten her a baby pool, yesterday (see one of the pics) so i might let her splash more often when the weather is warm enough
about the food, vet told me to cut down bugs (i feed dubia and super worms) to once a week, which she... doesn't like, but i feed her dandelion greens, romaine, chicoree, red sweet pepper (mostly for the color, since she doesn't like lame green stuffs) an ocasional grape (like.. once every two weeks, about 2-4 grapes) here and there some herbs (basil, i can't remember the name of the other stuff, cilantro etc) and whatever else i have around
i supplement with either reptile vitamin powder, calc +D3, pure calc,
tbh, i don't have a strict pattern, i dust her meals every other time, with those three things in turn. (so meal, meal with dust1, meal, meal with dust 2, etc)
since i feed her varied food, and she has a piece of sepia in her tank, she won't need more supplements. sometimes, i skip feeding her for one day or two per week, since she's quite chunky (and i was told it's alright to do that)

Attachments

• 20170621_193140.jpg
    20170621_193140.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 129
  • 20170701_140305.jpg
    20170701_140305.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 124
  • 20170629_193728.jpg
    20170629_193728.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 123
  • 20170629_193805.jpg
    20170629_193805.jpg
    205.5 KB · Views: 131
  • 20170408_1905242.jpg
    20170408_1905242.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 121

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
She doesn't look bad to me.. You said you have a UVB and a CHE but do you have a basking bulb??? If not you need one as they need the heat from the basking bulb and UVB to properly digest.. the CHE would be for nighttime use if your temps get below 65F which it sounds like they are good..the basking temp is a bit high as an adult you can go into the mid-high 90's. Romaine isn't a good staple green it gives just moisture really..can you get collards? that would be a great staple. She could just be turning dark because she doesn't feel well.

Latest posts