• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Trying to make sure everythings perfect. opinions please??

Tabitha

Bearded Dragon Egg
Here's a few pictures of my setup and I've been doing a lot of reading up on uvb lights and distances/screen filtration of uvb/ reflectors adding to the output etc. But I'd like some experienced opinions on the optimal positioning of my lights/bask spot in THIS setup.... I apologize for the length of the post but I'd like to give details of what I've got going on.
The bask branch Benny is sitting on - @the highest point is about 6" from the light.
The thermometer probe is taped/positioned out so its exactly where Benny's head usually is while basking. The hygrometer probe is slightly towards the middle of the tank closer to the basking side. Humidity is always between 30% and 46/7%ish, we live in a basement apartment so we have a dehumidifier in the living room(where Benny is) going most of the day, so it can vary slightly.
The height of the basking branch seems to be perfect temp wise it usually stays between 107-114 ish depending what's going on in the house (e.g doors opening/closing, windows open or shut etc.) If I put it closer to the light Benny can reach his head up and touch the screen top YIKES so I moved it down even lower than it is now but couldn't quite get the temps above around 100 no matter how I moved the lights around.
The heat and light bulb are a normal household 60watt white bulb in the dome fixture pictured directly above the branch. I am using a ReptiSun 10.0 in the tube fixture with aluminum foil behind the bulb to (hopefully?) Compensate for any uvb lost by the screen top.
My question is this: where do you think the best position for the uvb light is? I have several options pictured. The uvb angled along side the basking bulb in attempt to have Benny under the mid portion of the bulb. Or raised (4") from the screen running slightly beside his branch.
I'm just trying to position it so he gets the best amount of UVB because I can't move his basking light without compromising temps. I took a couple pics with just his UVB on so you can see how much/where the light is hitting.
Thanks guys! Id appreciate any ideas or opinions or comments! :)
BTW he NEVER moves off his basking branch unless he's eating or pooping so I took out the other 'furniture' on the other side of the tank due to those darn crickets hiding in it and it was a PAIN to get them lol do you think I should put a hide on the cool side (which is about 75-82°) again even if he never uses it?

IMG_20130814_185005.jpg
IMG_20130814_184740.jpg
IMG_20130814_184952.jpg
IMG_20130814_184828.jpg
IMG_20130814_184600.jpg

gilliesexotics

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hi, Best position is as close as you can get to the basking bulb. 100* is ok but if you want to get the temps up 5-10* you may try a 75 watt.

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
This is your better setup choice of your options
index.php

Is that your temp probe/sensor suction cupped to the back wall?

You have a nice coarse screen, so your UVB should pass through it without too much loss.

I would lower the Basking Spot a couple of inches or just move the heat & UVB fixture a few inches towards center (making the basking spot lower, at approximately an inch or 2 to the left of the fork in the branch) & use a hotter, higher wattage heat bulb, as GE suggested.

Good Luck

Last edited:

Latest posts