• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Trying to convince family about beardies!

Linkisnotzelda

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hello to all. I’m a young whippersnapper with lots of ideas but not a lot of solid info. I’ve been doing research on getting a beardie of my own but there’s so many different opinions out there. If I’m gonna get one, I want to make sure it’s happy and well cared for without spending too much money, as I’m only a teen and don’t exactly have money coming out of my ears... any help at all for food, lighting, etc would be great so I can present a legit plan to the rest of my family! Thanks in advance!

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Your initial set up is going to be the most expensive. You could look for tanks on neighborhood FB market pages. Amazon is good for decor and temp guns, etc. You could look into breeding your own bugs and growing your own veggies. You will need to have some money saved in case of emergencies like vet visits. I've seen way too many parents that don't think reptiles need to go to the vet and then refuse to let their child bring it to the vet when they are suffering.

I am glad you are doing your research before hand but really think about what you are getting into. Do you have someone that will take your beardie when you don't have time for it anymore? They live for 10+ years, are you going to go to college? You can't bring it with you. Bearded dragons are very social with their people. They love the interaction they get from us and can get sad like when we don't spend time with them. I notice it with my own when I have a week where I am working so much I barely have time to feed them. They get excited to see me then put their heads down when they realize I'm leaving.

Linkisnotzelda

Bearded Dragon Egg
Thank you for your feedback. As for going on vacation or college, I have an older sister who wants it as much as I do and would happily take care of it if I’m not around. Do you have any recommendations for what kind of temp lamps and UVB lights to buy?

Janelle

Juvenile Dragon
For UVB, you want a reptisun t5 10.0 TUBE or an Arcadia 10.0 12% tube in a reflector hood. For heat, you can just grab a halogen bulb and ceramic fixture with a dimmer at Walmart. You’ll also need a temp gun. $15 on amazon.

Linkisnotzelda

Bearded Dragon Egg
Another question about food, so far the best food option for my family is Dubia Roaches. I know that these are more spendy, but better for your beardie in the long run. Do you have any tips about buying or taking care of them? For those who are worried about illegal shipping states, it is legal in Oregon so I’m fine! Thanks in advance!

Janelle

Juvenile Dragon
A temp gun, you point a laser at the spot you want the temperature of, and it tells you the temp of that spot almost immediately. They're so great to have but also fun to play with.

I'll let somebody else answer about the dubias. I buy them on occasion for treats, but they're never here longer than two days.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Dubia are easy to care for. I keep my feeders in a tank with a mesh top, in a dark spot in my basement. They have lots of eggcrates to hide on and I feed them the same greens that I feed my dragons as well as a dry dubia food that I got from the place I ordered them from.

Linkisnotzelda

Bearded Dragon Egg
Thanks for the info! I read somewhere that they need to be kept pretty warm, is that true? Will I need to buy a specific heater for them?

BeardedDragonPauper

Hatchling Dragon
Yes a reptile heat pad is generally used, I am pretty sure they will not breed or anything at temps lower than 100 Fahrenheit. I personally think I will stick to worms and crickets but again I have options. I am is the same boat with you- teen with not much income! So what I did for the initial investment, I looked on craigslist and found a girl that was rehoming her juvenile because she was getting ready to start nursing school and wouldn't have as much time for him. She gave me tons of stuff- pellet food, cricket cubes, cricket water cristals, tongs, spray bottle, etc... And entire tank setup plus the beardie for only $100 bucks. I am so happy with him.

Linkisnotzelda

Bearded Dragon Egg
Okay thanks! My mom hates the idea of crickets, so Dubia roaches are really the only option for me! If you have any other tips or things for me to buy, let me know!

Linkisnotzelda

Bearded Dragon Egg
So I looked on craigslist and found a person trying to re-home their 6-year-old dragon. He comes with everything from a tank to lights, and is good with people. What do you guys think? Would buying be a good idea?

BeardedDragonPauper

Hatchling Dragon
I don't really see why not-
Make sure to ask if he is healthy and if they have seen any signs of MBD..
Maybe also ask why they are rehoming if you don't already know... And hopefully the price is reasonable!

Linkisnotzelda

Bearded Dragon Egg
The reason they are rehoming is that they are moving and their new apartment doesn't allow pets. It's a great price, $100 for beardie, 75 gal tank, lights, heater, etc. Lets just hope my mom is okay with the idea!

Latest posts