• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Troubles with dragon

Psychodoughboy

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I have owned my bearded dragon for about 2 years now and at first he was a bit aggressive but then I socialized with him and now he's not aggressive at all. Lately he hasn't been social at all, I take him out of his cage as frequently as possible and let him hang out in the front yard, basking in the sun, but I have been having problems, I have not seen any fecal matter in his cage and it is bothering me. I have been filling his food bowl up with fruits and vegetables but the next day I check up on it and the food is still there, dried up, I dont want any harm to come to my beloved bearded dragon, is there anything I can do to make him more social and get him to eat more and finally defecate?

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
How old is your UVB ? What brand is it too !
Usually when we see posts like this, it is UVB related.
Thanks !
Janie.

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
For starters, welcome!

I have to answer your questions by asking you some questions:

1. What manufacturer and make of UV bulb do you have?
2. What are the temps on your cool and hot sides?
3. What are you using to measure you temps?
4. What substrate do you have?
5. When was the last time your dragon pooped?
6. How often do you bathe(soak) your dragon?
7. What are the veggies and greens you are feeding your dragon?
8. What proteins (bugs) are you feeding your dragon?
9. Do you feel a lump when you message your dragon's belly?

To get your dragon to poop, it will help to give daily baths. Fill a sink/tub/container with lukewarm water - about 95-100F. The water should not be higher than your beardie's shoulders. Let him soak for 20 minutes.

The answers to the other questions will help troubleshoot any underlying issues.

Thanks.

Psychodoughboy

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I gave my beardie a bath, I massaged his stomach by the base of his tail and a few minutes later....he pooped. I know im probably not out of the clear because he still isnt eating, I checked my UVB and it has no brandname on it, but it does say 7%. I am dusting my crickets with calcium. I sometimes put my beardie in water but it always looks like he is uncomfortable in it and tries to squirm out. I dont want to be a bad beardie dad, can I get tips on what to feed him, right now I'm giving him crickets, mealworms..(not too many)....greens...and today i gave him some blackberries and watermellon. I have a 2 dollar temp sticker...it reads 100 degrees on the basking side and 80 on the cool side...is that correct?

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Nope. Any of the stickies can be off by as much as -/+ 20*F. The only way to get accurate temps is through a digital therm with probe. After the probe has been in place directly touching the basking area for 45 minutes, can you get an accurate temp. You can also use a temp gun, for instant accurate temps.

Soooo with that in mind, I would suggest bathing daily, and trying to get that heat light a bit further away.
Janie.
Also. 7% isn't a whole lot of UVB. The ReptiSun 10.0 Tube is the bomb here in the USA, Arcadia 12% in the UK, and the NEC t-10 Black in Aus.

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
It was mentioned that you had your beardie for about 2 years. Have you ever replaced the UV bulb? I am partial to the RepitSun 10.0. You need the tube.

Also, watermelon doesn't hold much nutritional value, but it is good for hydrating. Here is a link to a list of bearded dragon care items. You'll also find info on substrate, bathing, and general care. Mid-way down the page, you will find a list of greens and veggies to feed your dragon:

Bearded Dragon Care

Give it a read. Let us know if you have any questions.

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I take him out of his cage as frequently as possible and let him hang out in the front yard, basking in the sun,

depending on the frequency of that, my guess is that UVB (although it definately needs replaced as stated above) isn't the only issue.

A fecal test at the vets office should show you what you need to know.

Latest posts