• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Trouble With Temps Today Need The Pro's

river-7

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Been; having trouble with his temps this morning and i am wondering if 1-of the mods; could help out here please This damn Canadian weather is awful; But can't keep my temp on 110-[hotside] it either goes to 111-or higher or just too low-HELP!!!! Thanks to all in advance-bella-aka-river

gilliesexotics

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hi, im no pro but ill offer some suggestions for what it is worth. Do you have a room in your house that is stable in temps? If your whole house fluctuates drastically throughout the day and different times of the year. You may need to invest in a digital thermostat. Its not going to completely solve your problem but it can help. You will still have to probably change out bulbs depending on the situation but a thermostat will keep it from getting to hot.

Noella

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Gosh! I've got no problem with heat. I've got an A-Frame House with an open floor plan. There's no ceilings in my house so there's like this forty foot drop. Heat rises...up to my room, making it nice and toasty. The only thing I can think of right off the bat is putting the viv into a room where the temps are steady. If you're using a halogen flood light, try a lower wattage, depending on the tank size of course.

Kalypso

Hatchling Dragon
What kind of light are you using Bella? If it is a clamp lamp, try moving it up and inch, or down an inch and see where that gets you. Be sure your enclosure is not near any windows, or any vents either. If none of these solve the issue, try a different wattage bulb as well. It is going to be trial and error with your temps until you get them just right, that is why it is so much easier to have everything set up a week or so in advance so that you can play with your temps and get them right, but since you didn't have that luxury, you are just going to have to play with the light setup until you get it where you want, while keeping a watchful eye on the temps to keep them from being too high or too low.

river-7

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
KALYPSO; i am using the store ones of a 100-watts and the other bulb for his uvb.I think the problem is that he is under a window, and a bit of a draft comes in and your right i am going to have to move him so it will be stable. From the day i got him his temps were smack on until yesterday.and that won't be good for him-that's the trouble with doing research after the fact in stead of before.Thanks KALYPSO; and Noella;,and GILLIEXOCTICS- Thank you all will take a look at a thermostat as the tenps in this apartment do fluctuate lol. My living room is the most stable fantastic temps for the little gecko-but the beardie had been fine until yesterday.ps; all he is in a 20-until i move him to a 40-which is also in my front room.i just have to set up for him. And don't want to move him just yet as hes doing so well and i don't want him to stop lol.thanks all will check for a different spot for him.Bella-I ended up just playing with it never went out and it was bang on again lol, So i guess my advise to anyone would be watch the temps.Bella-aka-river

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Room temps will often fluctuate a certain amount & will affect the enclosure environment throughout the day. Your temps will not be the same in the morning as they are in the afternoon. You should check you temps 3-4 hours after lights on, so the enclosure, furniture, substrate, etc have a chance to warm up to normal temps & the environment temps become more stable. The temps will almost never stay at a constant 110F, but that is the average that you should aim for. You have a leeway of 5F (2-3C) either way, but it should never be allowed to get above 115F. If it gets too hot it will move to a lower cooler spot, this is why a branch, on an upward angle makes a good basking spot, then it can vary it's temp by height on it's own ...

Latest posts