• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Trouble eating

Javier

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Ok, so tomorrow will mark a week that my little dude has been home. I've been struggling to get him to eat, I've contacted his breeder - said to switch from roaches back to crickets () I did and he ate a few but ignored the rest. Didn't eat (in front of me) for two day then, but I always had a poop waiting for him once I got home. Today I decided to try something new and let the roaches crawl around instead of having them in the escape proof bowl. That did the trick. The lil MF ate like 7 and 3 or 4 for tiny mealworms. I notice that he did eat half of his salad though.

So my dilemma, I contacted the breeder and he said that that may also be why he's not eating his bugs because he would just set the crickets loose in his enclosure. By the time I leave for work, he is still sleeping. I'd have to start waking him up at around 4:30 in the morning for him to be alert enough to catch these roaches before I leave for work. I dont think that's fair to him. Do you guys think he will eventually get used to the bowl, should I try another kind? Should I wait it out?

I'm getting him a 4x2x2 enclosure this weekend. I plan on decking it out with drift wood and the foam background - the whole 9 yards. So it won't be ready for about another week or so. When I move him into the enclosure am I going going have to fight with him to eat again!?

Attachments

• 20210806_181112.jpg
    20210806_181112.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 4

Hadenuffyet

Juvenile Dragon
Ok, so tomorrow will mark a week that my little dude has been home. I've been struggling to get him to eat, I've contacted his breeder - said to switch from roaches back to crickets () I did and he ate a few but ignored the rest. Didn't eat (in front of me) for two day then, but I always had a poop waiting for him once I got home. Today I decided to try something new and let the roaches crawl around instead of having them in the escape proof bowl. That did the trick. The lil MF ate like 7 and 3 or 4 for tiny mealworms. I notice that he did eat half of his salad though.

So my dilemma, I contacted the breeder and he said that that may also be why he's not eating his bugs because he would just set the crickets loose in his enclosure. By the time I leave for work, he is still sleeping. I'd have to start waking him up at around 4:30 in the morning for him to be alert enough to catch these roaches before I leave for work. I dont think that's fair to him. Do you guys think he will eventually get used to the bowl, should I try another kind? Should I wait it out?

I'm getting him a 4x2x2 enclosure this weekend. I plan on decking it out with drift wood and the foam background - the whole 9 yards. So it won't be ready for about another week or so. When I move him into the enclosure am I going going have to fight with him to eat again!?
I start with greens first in the morning. Can that tide him over till you get home? With roaches in the escape proof bowl in the tank. If he gets hungry he WILL learn to eat the bugs from a bowl. I’d still offer the chance for him to chase them around when you get home.

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
I agree with @Hadenuffyet , get big anti-escape bowl and put his salad AND his bugs in it , thats what id do, and yes he might go through relocation stress again and go on strike, he’ll be fine, technically, and only while in brumation a healthy dragon can go months without food, in a regular situation they can go 3-5 days no food and be just fine, so dont feel too bad with him being fussy, once you got his enclosure built immediately put him in there for a couple minutes a day so his transition will be easier, and in his hide put a dish rag with your scent on it in there, that’ll help him feel comfortable while in the new enclosure as well.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club

Please No more meal worms-- hes too little for the chitlin on the meal worm - too hard for them to digest --- can cause impaction --- get a bowl like this or similar to https://www.amazon.com/MACGOAL-Rept...uGQB&pd_rd_wg=tLkwE&ref_=pd_gw_ci_mcx_mr_hp_d
feed salads first thing in the morning - take the dubias and put them in the salad like 12 or so start there - dust them w/ the calcium D3 -- those wont get out because they are small --- make sure your feeding the space between the eyes length wise NO bigger -- he should have a second feeding of insects in the afternoon - DO NOT dust - you can always get some BSFL www.symtonbsf.com order large they are small DO NOT dust them - use as many as you want they are a great staple feeder put them on top of his salads - I would use those in the morning put like 50 in the bowl - these can be a great compliment to the roaches feed them in the afternoon - but the BSFL and the salads would be good since you haft to leave in the morning so early -- make sure your feeding him 2-3 hrs prior to lights off -- he has to have time to start digestion -yes he will go thru relocation stress again -- how old is he? If hes less than 3 months old I would hold off till hes atleast 3 months or 4 before moving him -- do not leave crickets in the tank --- crickets will hide and come out at nite and bite the dragon and they can cause infection-- if your feeding crickets feed one - two at a time so you can count how many are in the tank
here is a website for nutrition ignore the kale thing its a good staple feeder

http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html

Latest posts