• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Tries to mate but doesnt?

ZambieMaster

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hello, I'm brand new to these forums and I've ran out of ideas as to where to turn to for this question as videos and google has failed me thus far. I own two beardies, they are rescues and both to my knowledge full grown adults. The female is small and I can assume a hypo beardie and is very calm and relaxed while the male is Kratos, the super active larger male who is just a drama queen when he don't get what he wants. I've checked them myself and they are 100% female and male and both show breeding behavior. The problem is this, Athena shows submission and that she's ovulating and Kratos does the little mating dance, stomping and bearding and biting while mounting. The problem is he does this every time he sees her and then he just sits there on her after his mating attempt. They are both healthy and kept well but its like he don't know how to mate lol? I don't try to force them obviously but I'm just very confused as to why nothing happens and I was worried he could have a problem? They were both abused from what the previous owners had told us and Kratos is missing some toes and I'm scared that the abuse from before could be a cause cause I love these little babies and I just want them to be okay. So, if anyone can help me with an answer that would be amazing. I've went through dozens of videos and advice's from professionals and google for other things and have turned up nothing.
Thank you for reading and again, any help is appreciated!

Silver dragons

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Hello, could you post pictures of your enclosure and the bearded dragons? Are you sure that they are in perfect health? Sometimes bearded dragons can trick you, especially if they are rescues. Which is why it's not a smart idea to breed rescues. How old are your bearded dragons? If they are too old or young this could also happen.

ZambieMaster

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hello, could you post pictures of your enclosure and the bearded dragons? Are you sure that they are in perfect health? Sometimes bearded dragons can trick you, especially if they are rescues. Which is why it's not a smart idea to breed rescues. How old are your bearded dragons? If they are too old or young this could also happen.

Sorry for taking so long to get back to you on this! There was a ton of things come up but I should be able to respond from now on.

Here's a picture of Athena and her setup
DSCN1093.JPG
DSCN1097.JPG

and here's Kratos with his

DSCN1098.JPG
DSCN1101.JPG

I will also state this much. I know the enclosure's are not the biggest or best but me and my family are working with a very limited budget and we're trying our very best for them which is why I like to let them roam around my (clean) room so they're not in the small areas all day and night, and we are working towards getting them better lights and hopefully soon better enrichment and enclosures overall. They are both loved on and given the right foods with vitamins and are watered (water dish is included for them because they do like to soak in it occasionally and they are cleaned regularly. I honestly am just very worried I will be looked at as a bad owner if I don't meet professional standards, but I just simply want to find out if they are okay health wise. Age; we're not exactly sure, but guaranteed not babies because the people we rescued them from had them for a year to a year and a half to our knowledge and we've had them since the date of 12-6-2019. Thank you again for reading and or understanding if everything isn't perfect. <3.

Silver dragons

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Yes your enclosures are a little too small I would highly suggest at least a 40 gallon and a T5 the Sun bulb before even thinking about breeding.They don't seem to be in that bad of Health but I'm a little confused why you're trying to breed before you have the right setups? Because if you're wanting baby bearded dragons they will cost a lot of money. An incubator alone is going to cost a lot and then you're going to need extra cages, lighting, food etc for when they hatch which can get expensive quickly. I would highly suggest factoring this in before you try breeding again if at all. Now I don't want to ruin your breeding plans, as baby bearded dragons can be a very rewarding experience but it is going to cost a lot of money, time and experience. So I would definitely take the time to do more research on bearded dragons. If you have any questions feel free to ask me!

ZambieMaster

Bearded Dragon Egg
Yes your enclosures are a little too small I would highly suggest at least a 40 gallon and a T5 the Sun bulb before even thinking about breeding.They don't seem to be in that bad of Health but I'm a little confused why you're trying to breed before you have the right setups? Because if you're wanting baby bearded dragons they will cost a lot of money. An incubator alone is going to cost a lot and then you're going to need extra cages, lighting, food etc for when they hatch which can get expensive quickly. I would highly suggest factoring this in before you try breeding again if at all. Now I don't want to ruin your breeding plans, as baby bearded dragons can be a very rewarding experience but it is going to cost a lot of money, time and experience. So I would definitely take the time to do more research on bearded dragons. If you have any questions feel free to ask me!
Oh its actually funny really, I'm not trying to breed them, I'm veeery aware they are costly as we've raised 3 clutches of baby snakes before by accident once. My main worry was if my boy was unhealthy (thus failing to breed) so I went here for advice and hopefully in the near future we can get them both bigger tanks and a dig box to play in, but that aside I'm just happy to know they are okay for the moment because I really do love them dearly, but budget and financial plans make things so hard and I've to work around a lot of things.

Latest posts