• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Transition to greens?

Vic and Mars

Juvenile Dragon
I'm wondering if I should transition Mars to greens. I've had a bit of a struggle with age estimations. I adopted her at a rescue, and they were unsure of her exact age. I estimate that when I got her in July, she was 5-8 months old. So she could already be over a year old. Should I wait a bit to be on the safe side? She's currently 15 1/2 inches and weighs 340 grams. She's not exactly great at eating her greens. Usually, she will eat at least one piece daily. Some days she eats more than others.

Beardie Lover

Juvenile Dragon
You helped me so I should help you :)

This might sound bad, but I have found that a good way to get them to eat their greens is to “starve” them. So give them a salad, and no bugs until she eats her salad. This could be a few days. I think that at her age that she should be eating mostly greens. I feed my beardie her bugs every other day, and is still a little chunky.

Vic and Mars

Juvenile Dragon
You helped me so I should help you :)

This might sound bad, but I have found that a good way to get them to eat their greens is to “starve” them. So give them a salad, and no bugs until she eats her salad. This could be a few days. I think that at her age that she should be eating mostly greens. I feed my beardie her bugs every other day, and is still a little chunky.
Thanks :) I have heard of that method. I'll try some other stuff first but will look into this recommendation if her eating does not improve.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
She should already be eating her salads from day 1 -- now it may be hard to get her to eat any of them -- start now w/ some BSFL and some horn worms and some super worms
http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html
Ignore the kale its a great staple feeder
you will need a bowl like this or similar to
https://www.amazon.com/MACGOAL-Rept...uGQB&pd_rd_wg=tLkwE&ref_=pd_gw_ci_mcx_mr_hp_d
Feed first thing in the morning w/ some BSFL added to the salads in front of her www.symtonbsf.com order large feed as many as you want they are a great staple feeder DO NOT dust them -- drop them on the salads in front of her along w/ 1-3 super worms horn worms are also good for lures -- do the super worms every other day -- she should be coming off the insects every day to 2-3 times per week w/ eating salads every day -- depending on the UVB your using will depend on the supplements being fed --- T 5's your going to cut back on the calcium D3 you will still need to give regular calcium along w/ the vitamins since shes not eating salads -- salads are a big hydration method --- that is where they get most of it --- horn worms are good for hydrating --

Vic and Mars

Juvenile Dragon
She should already be eating her salads from day 1 -- now it may be hard to get her to eat any of them -- start now w/ some BSFL and some horn worms and some super worms
http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html
Ignore the kale its a great staple feeder
you will need a bowl like this or similar to
https://www.amazon.com/MACGOAL-Rept...uGQB&pd_rd_wg=tLkwE&ref_=pd_gw_ci_mcx_mr_hp_d
Feed first thing in the morning w/ some BSFL added to the salads in front of her www.symtonbsf.com order large feed as many as you want they are a great staple feeder DO NOT dust them -- drop them on the salads in front of her along w/ 1-3 super worms horn worms are also good for lures -- do the super worms every other day -- she should be coming off the insects every day to 2-3 times per week w/ eating salads every day -- depending on the UVB your using will depend on the supplements being fed --- T 5's your going to cut back on the calcium D3 you will still need to give regular calcium along w/ the vitamins since shes not eating salads -- salads are a big hydration method --- that is where they get most of it --- horn worms are good for hydrating --
I am using super worms to draw her to the salads, I plan on acquiring BSFL soon. She has started eating her salad a bit better. At this point (where she could possibly still be a juvenile since I don't know for sure) how should I do the supplements? How can I tell if the transition to greens is going well and she's not too young to where it causes MBD or starvation

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I am using super worms to draw her to the salads, I plan on acquiring BSFL soon. She has started eating her salad a bit better. At this point (where she could possibly still be a juvenile since I don't know for sure) how should I do the supplements? How can I tell if the transition to greens is going well and she's not too young to where it causes MBD or starvation
The salads wont cause MBD its lack of UVB thats going to cause that --- its good shes coming to the salad bowl now --- where did you get her from? Post a pic of her and maybe we can see how old she is by her physical appearance
dragons when babies up to one year are going to get most of their nutrition from the insects but after they turn a year old we need to start w/ cutting back the protein - and going more for the greens - it will keep them from getting so overweight ---

Vic and Mars

Juvenile Dragon
I acquired her from Idaho Reptile Zoo. This is her
IMG_20211226_120503.jpg

Latest posts