• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Tragic news..

reptyfae

Hatchling Dragon
Have to let it out.. and moral of the story is
Bearded dragons cant handle that much sun.
all i read on the internet is "Australia, sun,sun,sun,heat, heat,sun,sun,heat,insects,etc"
so,
since the sun is always out in my country, i'd let my dragon bask beside the window screen for an hour or 2 then place her back in her enclosure. but then i noticed bugs/insects started to come in so i decided to let her out in my Balcony in her secured basket with a towel and some food, it had shed so she could hide. She loved it. One day after her bath and relieved because i successfully removed the shedding skin on the tip of her tail, i didnt know how a skin rott looks like so(better be safe than sorry) i concentrated on it the most+her toes, i patted her dry then it was her natural sun light basking time. after some time, i went to check on her and my heart dropped, she was just laying there dead. i immediately took her out and filled her special sink with cool water, i soaked her with her towel and started hand feeding her diluted Pedialyte with a syringe hoping that it will hydrate her and wake her up, i stayed beside her for hours crying and hoping that she'll wake up, and maybe she's just in a type of a brumation level. she wasn't brumating, she was gone. because of my irresponsible act

i feel so guilty and i wish if there were any previous signs to avoid putting her under the sun again and just stick with Light Bulbs, or move to Australia for their type of sun

i miss you Azaar, my mistake is irreparable and unforgivable
[29Oct,2013] R.I.P

2769_754824114532825_1730862547_n.jpg

Summary:
I've ordered my B.D From a guy who gets his reptiles from a Breeder in California

after receiving her, she was fairly thin, dirty, missing some nails, and had a lump on the side of her face.

When the guy sent the pic of the dragon, it never reoccurred me to ask for multiple side pics, i trusted that the dragon will be healthy.

As a Reptile beginner of taking care of my "Own" Reptile, i didnt know if i can take care of her in her healing process if the Vet dug a hole in her face (since reptiles heal slow)

So i told the guy whom i bought my B.D from and he said he'll exchange, but that made me feel guilty because i have no idea what he'll do with her (maybe throw her away or give her to someone who's careless and does a home-surgery without numbing her that will screw the dragon's face and let her live in agony for months?) i was paranoid. it was foolish, i know.

so i decided to take her to the Vet and just Deal with it professionally with more research and get help from you guys.

but that day just didnt come..

davedragon10

Hatchling Dragon
Sorry for your loss... but was it the sun or the towel u secured her with. Must of dehydrated some how.

Or she was sick when u got her

reptyfae

Hatchling Dragon
The towel was just under her for comfort because she doesnt have any type of substrate, definitely the sun.

Jon Macintosh

Juvenile Dragon
I am terribly sorry to hear this as well..

I do have a question though - how can one be certain that the sun is the cause?
I've never read that sunlight can be a danger to a bearded dragon (unless they're exposed to it within a glass enclosure).

reptyfae

Hatchling Dragon
I am terribly sorry to hear this as well..

I do have a question though - how can one be certain that the sun is the cause?
I've never read that sunlight can be a danger to a bearded dragon (unless they're exposed to it within a glass enclosure).

my country's heat/sun can be too high up to 30-40-45-50-55 Celsius.
i've been to the U.S, and Europe, their sun doesn't match ours at all.

i remember my friend's rabbit that escaped from its cage, when she got back home she saw the rabbit frozen in her place and dead under the sun.
my uncle's falcon was sun-bathing and died under the sun.
my friend's snake was sun-bathing and died under the sun.

it just takes a matter of time, i feel guilty because i left my B.D more than enough. Should have set a timer or just stick with the bulb.
she wasnt exposed within a glass-exposure, she was in a basket and still managed to pass away.

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Sorry for your loss ...

Sun of the right temps will not harm your BD. But of course, if you put them out in a confined enclosure, in direct sunlight, on a hot day, in a hot climate, without an escape route to get out of the sun or into the shade, then yes, there is a really good chance of cooking a BD rather quickly in direct sunlight.

Common sense has to be used, direct Sunlight is much hotter than what the weatherman says the ambient temp is, because that temp is measured & reported from in the shade. 30C (86F) in the shade, can have a surface temp of 65+C (150+F) or more, in direct sunlight. BDs must be able to get out of the direct sunlight when needed, all outdoor enclosures must provide this avenue of escape, along with sufficient air flow.

Again, sorry to hear this unfortunate news.

Last edited:

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
A towel or blanket to crawl under, that is in the direct sunlight, does not provide sufficient shade & provides no air flow. A dark towel or blanket would magnify the heat ...

In the wild, a BD has the option to get out of the sun when it is too hot ...

reptyfae

Hatchling Dragon
A towel or blanket to crawl under, that is in the direct sunlight, does not provide sufficient shade & provides no air flow. A dark towel or blanket would magnify the heat ...

In the wild, a BD has the option to get out of the sun when it is too hot ...

the outdoor housing was unprofessionally thought of, i'd really appreciate it if someone linked me to a safe outdoor enclosure if i happen to welcome a beardie. they are such a wonderful pets and it was a joy keeping azaar.

thank you everyone for your kind words

Mattalie

Juvenile Dragon
This made me cry :'( . Im so sorry for your loss. Dont be so hard on yourself though. I would feel very guilty as well but you had no idea it was harming your baby and clearly you loved her and took care of her. People make mistakes and this was an accident. You took care of her to the best of your abilities and thats what matters the most.

lyndz

Hatchling Dragon
Sorry to hear. I to live in Australia and am very weary of leaving my bd in the sun for to long especially behind glass as it will radiate the heat more. I've found behind the screen door works well for 20min period

Latest posts