• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Total Newb Questions

LittleMerlin

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Okay well I got my first beardie today after coming home from a LONG vacation, well long for me, lol. Anywho, here are some questions I have. I have done research so not to sound too newbish but I'd rather ask than not know. For the time being, Draco is in a 10 gallon that my leopard gecko Merlin used to stay in. I cleaned it well before putting Draco in. Here are my questions.

1.) I have a digital thermometer and it had read over 114 F this afternoon. That was without any lights on. His tank is by my window and I have my blinds mostly down. Is that why the temps spiked so high? I have it at 69 F for upstairs AC unit cause it gets so hot. Now it is reading 114.F on warm side with day light on and on cool side at just under 85. So is the thermometer that is brand new faulty?

2.) I don't know which veggies are best for him or if he needs it as some sites say not to introduce it right away to babies. They had some sort of lettuce in the food bowl at PetCo but not sure what kind. I wanna make sure that he needs it and what is the best for him.

3.) A lot of sites say he needs a water dish big enough to soak on. I got him one today but only put a little bit of water in because I didn't want him to drown. I need to get a different UV bulb as well. Didn't get the right sized one.

4.) If they need a soak dish, I am guessing you still need to mist them too like most sites say?

He ate a mealworm after I got him in the tank and a cricket. Both small. And he some mealworms left. I think I put in 8 and I am seeing 6 so maybe he snuck another one when I wasn't looking, lol. He was the most healthy and active looking one available. The others looked around and moved some but Draco seemed to say I am the boss here! Lol

Also is it normal for them to scratch their heads like a dog would? He did it twice so just asking. Haven't seen him do that again.

Jp

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
1. I would recommend moving the enclosure away from the window so u can get the correct temps with the lighting u are providing (which is difficult with a 10 gal). What kind of lighting did u purchase?
2. Collard greens, Mustard greens, Romaine. Only feed iceberg lettuce when u are hydrating your dragon, it offers no nutrition.
3. Water dishes can get messy & harvest bacteria if not changed often.
4. I would recommend misting a few times a week & a nice soak.
5. Start checking around 4 a bigger enclosure ASAP. Your dragon will outgrow that enclosure b4 u know it & it is very difficult 2 provide healthy temps with such a small space.

LittleMerlin

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Okay I will try to relocate the cage. I may get a bigger cage tomorrow. The temp gage has gone back way down than it was. I am reading that mealworms are not good for them. Is that true? I thought they ate mostly the same stuff as leopard geckos? Crickets, mealies and well Leos don't eat fruits or veggies but beardies do.

Jp

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Welcome 2 the forum, by the way. At a young age dragons have a very hard time digesting the shell of mealworms. Depending on where you are located, much better feeders are available.

LittleMerlin

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Hmm okay well they are small mealworms. He did eat a cricket. I do my best to pick the mealies that have shed their skin. I will be going dragon shopping tomorrow. Hopefully for a bigger tank, that I can afford, the right UV bulbs and the right veggies. Thank you for the warm welcomes! I am stuck on names though for him. Mom likes Draco cause of the movie Dragon Heart but I like Haku from Spirited Away, Sesshomaru from InuYasha, or something else. Not sure yet. Mom named my leopard gecko Merlin but I wanna name this little guy XD

Jp

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Thank you, Jane. I was looking 4 that link earlier.

ajandj

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
That's ok, that link is my bible for Yoda's eating plan. He has put on 27 grams in 1 month and he's starting to look really health. When l first got him l couldn't actually feel him on my hand (14grams) but now, he actually feels heavy (41grams) and grown 10cms

LittleMerlin

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Thankyou so much. I saw that before when I was doing research. But I wasn't sure if it was used by others as well as the person that made it. I will grab food supplies from the veggie list tomorrow. Another question, don't dragons sleep at night? So far at almost 11 pm central, my guy is wide awake! The light is staying on on his tank for heat till I can get the UV bulbs. The bulb on now is a 60 watt blue day bulb like I use for Merlin's tank (leopard gecko).

On a side note. Seems like Draco or whatever I will be calling him prefers to be hand fed. He dived to the food bowl when I held it for him to notice it. And he ate three crickets right off my hand. He also seems to LOVE crawling up my arms!

Pixel

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Beardies have a "third eye" (parietal eye) that allows them to sense heat and light. Using a white(or blue) light on him a night time makes him think it is still daytime. If you need heat at night you can use a red bulb.

ajandj

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
that's right, either an infer red or ceramic heat emitter (i use a heat emitter, i've been read goos things and bad things about infer red

Fliehigh

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
The old school of thought was that Dragons cannot see red, but any Light of cany color will keep them awake.

For night heat (and only if your house drops below 65F) use a CHE.

LittleMerlin

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Hmm what is a CHE? And I will try the red bulb or no bulb tonight. He seems to have stayed up all night. though I think they leave the lights on at the pet store all night and day as well but I am not sure on that. He did go to the bathroom last night so yay! I glad he isn't having issues of settling in so far!

LittleMerlin

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Well I will look into that when I go to the pet store. I have a rock water bowl that they had available. It said it was good for a "soak" if the reptile wanted to. I am worried about temps this week because it isn't noon yet and his tank is already a 101. May turn the light off so it won't get hotter. We are under major heat warnings in our area till Friday. It really stinks. Out AC unit is having a tough time cause of how hot it is. I may try giving him a bath today at some point. I misted him a little bit last night. He didn't seem to have a problem with it.

LittleMerlin

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
I got him a size 29 tank that says 30 for the length. I guess that is in inches. And I got him a 18" UVB desert bulb. Just cleaning it now before I put him in it.

LittleMerlin

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
I got the desert one that said was appropriate for beardies. I am about to turn them off cause it is so hot already. I don't want it to get above a 110. I am about to feed him since he wouldn't eat earlier. He had food last night when I brought him home. And has used the bathroom twice now. Once last night, and then this morning, so woot! Still need to get his veggies though! And I am sticking with the name Draco. Mom likes it, I like it an it is easier to remember. So I have Merlin the leopard gecko and Draco the baby bearded dragon XD

LittleMerlin

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Hmm well I will try some various veggies. And his name is actually supposed to be from the movie Dragon Heart. Sean Connery was the voice of the dragon in that movie and the dragon's name was Draco after the constellation that forms a dragon in the sky.

Latest posts