• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Too much protein?

wiiiroc

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Is there such a thing as giving your beardie too much protein? What are the side effects?

I know I'm only supposed to feed Puff crickets 4-5 times a week (4 year old beardie)
However, he always looks so upset! And skinny! He begs for those damned crickets every day! Haha.
He does eat a full bowl of veggies. And between 10-20 crickets (depending on how hungry he is that day)
But is there a real reason to not feed him the crickets everyday?

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I would try to get Puff to eat more salad. The reason behind reducing the protein for adult bearded dragons is too much protein has been known to cause fatty liver disease. With age, a bearded dragon's metabolism slows down and the amount of protein needs to be reduced. Therefore, an adult bearded cannot process the protein as efficiently as a baby and the protein converts to fat.

wiiiroc

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Ahh, I see.
Well, the last thing I need is for Puff to get sick.
I will continue to give him a small amount of crickets 4 times a week, along with his daily veggies

Latest posts