• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Too much hydration?

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
plastic doesn't breath. You may want to find those "green" bags and store them that way... I have, and mine last chopped up to a week.
Hope this helps out !
Janie

beardie_love

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Are you referring to those 'green' bags that reduce the use of plastic bags? Just making sure. :p

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
the ones you find advertised that keep veggies fresh longer.
I found mine in both the produce dept as well as the aisle you get your plastic wrap and garbage bags at.
Janie

Pogie

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hi,

I make the salads weekly and keep them in a ziploc container with a piece of kitchen towel at the bottom to soak up the excess moisture. They last well over a week, although I toss it before then.

As for the remainder of the leaves/fruit/veggies... I put them in seperate ziploc bags also with a folded piece of kitchen towel, and my greens will last up to a week and a half. Just rinse them with water beforehand, shake off the excess and try to get as much air out of the bag without squashing the leaves.

Now dont laugh, but I close up the bag till about 1 cm remains, then suck out the air (Like a sealer machine would) and quickly close the last part before any air can get back in.

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Monique.. I've done that too... Normally though, I tend to tear and prepare daily, takes more time, but I just feel better serving that way.

Janie

beardie_love

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Monique, I will try these different things and see what works best! And don't worry, I won't laugh... because it makes sense to do it. :p

What if I took a sandwich container type thing, and put holes in it? Would that work okay?

Pogie

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie_love
Tupper sounds fine, don't know about the holes though... would let air in, and air spoils food.

Janie,
Yeah I used to prepare daily too.. time consuming to say the least, but because of my work schedule (24hrs on call) I found that most mornings I get called away and dont get back till noon for the first time, so those days she didnt eat till I got home. By doing it this way.. her lights come on at 06H00, by the time I leave at 07H00 I just spoon in her salad and shes OK till I get home for crics...

And If I have to stay overnight, its easy for whoever watches her to just dish up, they cant get the mixture wrong, or give too big pieces. I really chop mine up
SNC00368.jpg

staylor

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Thanks for the info on the spinach. I have not fed it to them b/c I was not sure and I would rather feed what I am sure of then feed something that possible hurt them. I feed collards as the base of the salad and change up the veggies mixed in daily. Slyder gets squash daily or he will not eat salad at all.

Pogi's salad looks good. Put a vinaigrette dressing on it, chilled and eat with some food on the grill. Yumm

beardie_love

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Good news, seems like Dandelion greens did the trick. Baby had a nice, more formed poop. Oh, and no liquid!

Latest posts