• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Too much heat :(

luissandoval87

Hatchling Dragon
So I revived one of my older 4X2X2 enclosures. However, I haven't been able to work out the temperatures. As you can see on the picture I'm using a 50w heat lamp on the right, the temperature ranges from 100-120 depending on the spots. However, my cool side is 90! I had this problem before so I've been using my 40gal breeder in the meantime. I used to have small airvents, but decided to cut out a large portion on the sides and use one of those bugnets or whatever they're called. Still, I'm not successful. The enclosure looks pretty, but it's kind of worthless :(
If anybody could give me some ideas on what I could do to make it work I'd appreciate it. I don't have much powertools, so the simpler and easier the idea the better :)
Thanks,
-Luis
IMG_0366.JPG
IMG_0367.JPG

gilliesexotics

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hi, It would be a little bit of work to fine tune but you could use a computer fan to draw/pull air from either above your heat source or on the side of the tank you want cooler. Im not sure where to help you start but it should work. All you would need is a computer fan and a dc power pack of any kind. You will have to splice the two wires together or buy an adapter. Though i am not using a fan like this in a sense to pull or push. I personally do this to circulate the air in my incubators.

luissandoval87

Hatchling Dragon
Yeah I thought about changing my bulb, the only thing is that petmountain and petsmart don't offer any bulbs with a lower wattage than 50. I guess I could look around. I did bring it down from 75w so it was an oven in there before. Unfortunately my UVB light can't go any higher because the fixture has been drilled in already and I couldn't find any smaller, 4 ft single flourescent fixtures. :/ I'll look into the idea for lesser wattage.
thanks!

Pat B

Super Moderator
Go to home depot or Lowes for bulbs....pet store prices are ridiculous then they try to sell you stuff that you really don't need. :confused:

luissandoval87

Hatchling Dragon
quite honestly I don't think the bulbs are that expensive, but then again I haven't checked lowes or home depot, but I pay about 8 dollars for the 50 w heat bulbs and about 9 dollars for the 75w at petsmart if I buy at petmountain.com they have even cheaper bulbs but then again shipping and handling kills the deals...

Augie

Juvenile Dragon
Solid advice above, but I wanted to ask where you are measuring the temp of the cool side? Is it closer to the top or bottom? Other than that, I jut wanted to say how cool the setup looks!!! Once you get the temps down its going to be an amazing place to display your dragon! I may borrow a few of the things you've done! ;)

luissandoval87

Hatchling Dragon
The thermometer is that little oval thing on the upper left hand of the enclosure.
Thanks, I like how the enclosure came out as well, hopefully I can fix the temps so I can put my beardie in there :)

Augie

Juvenile Dragon
Does it check the temp from the top of the tank or is there a probe at the ground level where your dragon will be cooling off?

luissandoval87

Hatchling Dragon
So I thought my local best buy had PC fans, but it turns out they don't. Does anyone know any other places I could purchase them? Other than online...shipping costs pretty much what the fan costs...

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Checkout a Used PC shop, They generally always have used parts in bins for next to nothing.

Tedmiester

Bearded Dragon Egg
Could you not mount a small 80-120mm fan in the roof of the enclosure to move the air around, if your struggling for finding them check out any local pc shops or eBay quite often have 0.01p starts with free delivery!

luissandoval87

Hatchling Dragon
Thanks. I was actually looking for some here and found some, but before I purchased one. One of my uncles suggested just to the enclosure to a more ventilated area. I moved it to the living room and there's a huuuuge difference in temperature. It now reads 77-82F. Now I need to make it look pretty on the outside. I think I may just buy some really thin plywood, cover up all the sides and stain it.
Thanks again.